What's the weirdest dish -- or combination of foods -- that you actually (or secretly) love?

Your answers were wonderful when I asked about weird cookbooks. Now I want to know about weird food! What's the weirdest dish -- or combination of foods -- that you actually (or secretly) love?

asked by Kenzi Wilbur over 3 years ago

henandchicks

Peanut butter, hoisin, cuke strips in a tortilla were a college staple, further back was salami on a grocery store bagel, always with a side of grapefruit segments. Now that i own a little cafe, any leftover salad veggies except lettuce with cashews, nori, and a ladle of todays soup over all. the weirdest "official" dish? Jansens temptation- potato and anchovy baked together. Mmmmmm.

Windischgirl

Lima beans (or Butter beans) microwaved with shredded cheddar cheese, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Occasionally accented with a pinch of red pepper flakes. It's my emergency meal if the cupboard is bare!

York's Peppermint Patty & salted pretzels

Meaghan F

Snyder's pretzels now makes a York patty-covered pretzel and I thought it'd be awful - until I tried one. Surprisingly good.

carlito

Box mac and cheese with salsa (pace picante) and canned tuna

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Hah, henandchicks! Hebrew National Kosher salami on a grocery store bagel with a glass of orange juice (not grapefruit segments, but close) was my favorite lunch as a kid! I haven't eaten that in ages but now I'm craving it!

jessicamclement

crunchy peanut butter and maple syrup... i don't know if this is actually so weird, but every time i put it on my pancakes (with big sea salt flakes!) people make surprised comments!

Panfusine

Bananas with 'chaat masala' and a spritz of lime, Peel just one strip off the fruit, score a line with a sharp knife longitudinally, sprinkle chaat masala over the 'slit' and drizzle fresh lime juice, remove the remaining peel & eat the fruit as you would eat a hot dog.
Toast with peanut butter and potato chips.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Cooked white rice + shredded cheddar cheese, nuked in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Community Editor at Food52

I am with SJ on the deliciousness of white rice and cheddar.

In high school, I used to microwave platefuls of shredded cheddar in the microwave until it became a big melty, oily, orange puddle and then I'd scoop it up with pretzels. Or my fingers. Luckily for my arteries, I no longer own a microwave and I am too lazy to recreate this magical dish on the stovetop.

Ice cream with pretzels. Half-sour garlic pickles with peanut butter. In college I used to eat hot or cold white rice, soy sauce, roasted sesame oil and sugar and maybe scallion slices in a small cappuccino cup--never a big bowl. Lemon wedges sprinkled with salt. Hard-boiled egg with sea salt and Aleppo pepper or smoked paprika. Thick-sliced challah with a chunk of bittersweet chocolate. Tamari-roasted almonds with dried sour cherries.

MTMitchell

Maple syrup and breakfast sausage. REAL maple syrup -- not the "pancake syrup." This is definitely not considered weird where I grew up, but when I moved to the Midwest people thought I was crazy.

Shannon

Peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich with pepperocine peppers sprinked with salt on the side.

ktr
ktr

Grilled cheese with grape jelly and a bowl of tomato soup.
Homemade mac and cheese (made with velveeta) topped with baked beans, diced venison hot dogs and ketchup.
Cottage cheese with hot sauce.

When I was in college, a friend and I used to go out for chocolate cake and dill pickles after Band rehearsal. Pretty nice combination!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

yogurt topped with Sriracha...

Panfusine

OOH YEA!
I usually top yogurt with spicy Lime pickle and a sprinkle of sugar.

french fries and gravy, with some ketchup.

Melanie K.

I don't think these are too uncommon, but they've been deemed weird by a few people who have seen me eat them. Donut care!
- pineapple sprinkled with salt
- corn niblets stirred into mashed potatoes
- rice mixed with soy sauce and butter
- potato chips crumbled into EVERYTHING (scrambled eggs, sandwiches, guacamole, etc.)

Arglebargle

All of these seem pretty yummy! I like savory oatmeal: oatmeal with scallions, soy sauce, sriracha, and a fried or poached egg on it.

Stephanie

Microwave kettle corn with goat cheese crumbles. The "trick" is to let the goat cheese come to room temp first; add the crumbles immediately and pinch the bag closed again for a few minutes, so the goat cheese can melt(-ish). It's a perfect combo of salty and sweet.

Vanilla ice cream with toasted squash seed oil and flaky salt - not weird if you think about it?

Love a good avocado margarita - also, though, not weird if you think about it

I am a ketchup on my ketchup person - ketchup on scrambled eggs, dip my grilled cheese in ketchup, when I was little - ketchup on my oatmeal (now that has changed to Louisiana hot sauce)

Oh - baked potato with sour cream and a freakish amount of pickled jalapeños, like, the whole jar and wish for more.

Community Editor at Food52

Avocado margarita?! I think I've been missing out on something magical.

Healthline

Chipotle peanut brittle definitely isn't your grandmother's, old-fashioned recipe! But the added dried jalapeños with the creamy peanuts adds a flavorful punch to the typical sweet treat: http://www.healthline.com...

Chef Lisa

Popcorn, dill pickle and chocolate, together!