I am baking kulich and the recipe calls for a 2 lb coffee can. Would it be safe to use empty tomato cans instead?

The tomato cans are smaller than my memory of coffee cans - so I would use two and bake for a shorter time. I welcome any thoughts on baking in empty cans, or suggestions for other types of pans in which to make kulich (aka Russian Easter Bread). I am using Anya von Bremzen's recipe from Please to the Table.

asked by Inko over 3 years ago

Annie stader

I have made Kulich using various cans and it worked fine. I guess you should just make sure they are not coated inside. Large tomato cans should work fine you just won't get the traditional shape.