Banana bread in smaller pans

I'm making banana bread tomorrow and realized my loaf pans are smaller than those called for in the recipe. Recipe calls for putting the batter into two 9-10" loaf pans and baking at 350 for 40-50 minutes. How long would I bake in 3 somewhat smaller pans ( approx 8x4x2.5)?

• Posted by: TobiT
  • November 15, 2014

Monita November 15, 2014

An 8x4x2 loaf pan holds 4 cups batter and a 9x5x3 holds 8 cups so you might need 4 of the smaller pans, Check the bread at 30 min

ChezHenry
ChezHenry November 15, 2014

Monitas right on, I make small banana muffins almost weekly for my family and they take about 16-18 minutes. Check it at 30 and gauge from there.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon November 15, 2014

My answer is less scientific, and more intuition:
If 2 large loaves take 40 - 50 minutes, 3 smaller loaves might take around 20 - 30 minutes. I always set at least two timers - one to check in on what's going on in the oven, the other near when it's close. Even if I know a cake takes 40 minutes to bake, I set my first timer for 20m.

Also, not all baking vessels or batters are created equal. A lot of loaf cakes get overcooked on the outside before the interior is fully baked. Ninety percent of the time this is because the vessel is too full and the batter domes, but then has no wear to go but out, or sinking, or overbaking. If I don't know how much a batter is going to rise, I never fill more than 1/2 way up the baking vessel.

Lastly - banana cake and muffin batter will last at least 3 days in your fridge while you wait for another baking vessel to become free.

beekeeper
beekeeper November 16, 2014

I would just make muffin tops with the batter. They are very good, freeze well and reheat in the toaster in a flash.