making chicken stock

I want to make chicken stock this weekend but can not find any fowl. What is the next best bird to use. A whole fryer or a whole roaster?

keg72 March 5, 2015
I, too, like to use legs, but I'd add that you should see what's on sale, or a good value (like a family pack) at the grocery store! All parts of the chicken can make a great stock -- just make sure the chicken is bone-in, skin-on.

Fat T. March 5, 2015
I've also used a family pack of chicken legs, the dark meat will give you better flavor.

Lucia F. March 5, 2015
That is a good idea. I think I will try that and pick up some extra wings like kimhw suggested. We got so use to homemade broth this winter I had to have to use store bought!

Trena H. March 5, 2015
I typically buy a whole organic chicken and roast it for dinner. After the meal I pick the remaining chicken meat off the carcass and save the juices from the roast to use in my stock. Just make sure you have the proper chicken to water ratios and don't forget the carrots, onions, garlic, and fresh herbs. I like sweet bay, marjoram, and thyme.

Voted the Best Reply!

kimhw March 4, 2015
Buy a big bag of wings! Lots of collagen, bones and a bit of meat. Perfect for stock.