making chicken stock

I want to make chicken stock this weekend but can not find any fowl. What is the next best bird to use. A whole fryer or a whole roaster?

asked by Lucia from Madison over 3 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I typically buy a whole organic chicken and roast it for dinner. After the meal I pick the remaining chicken meat off the carcass and save the juices from the roast to use in my stock. Just make sure you have the proper chicken to water ratios and don't forget the carrots, onions, garlic, and fresh herbs. I like sweet bay, marjoram, and thyme.

Fat Tony

I've also used a family pack of chicken legs, the dark meat will give you better flavor.

Lucia from Madison

That is a good idea. I think I will try that and pick up some extra wings like kimhw suggested. We got so use to homemade broth this winter I had to have to use store bought!

keg72

I, too, like to use legs, but I'd add that you should see what's on sale, or a good value (like a family pack) at the grocery store! All parts of the chicken can make a great stock -- just make sure the chicken is bone-in, skin-on.