What else can I use hominy in?

I used one can for pozole, and am wondering if there are any other recipes to try with the other can.

asked by Molly over 3 years ago

Healthline

This Chicken Posole recipe may be a new, lighter take on the earlier posole dish you made. It uses rotisserie chicken, so it may be easier too! http://www.healthline.com/health/chicken-posole

drshakyhands

When I was a kid, we just heated up a can of hominy, drained the liquid and stirred in butter, salt and pepper. My mom always served it with pork chops and applesauce.

Lindsay A Smith

I took a twist on a recipe from Moosewood Cooks at home- which was blackeyes peas with kale and sweet potatoes and instead of sweet potatoes (didn't have any) I added a can of hominy. I LOVE this dish. I make brown rice with it.

sfmiller

I've made tasty gratins with it, treating the hominy like the pasta in macaroni and cheese, with whatever add-ins appeal to you or suit what else you're making (sauteed onions, roasted garlic, roasted poblano or other peppers, bacon, cooked mexican chorizo, cooked greens).

The hominy doesn't absorb as much sauce as pasta does, so if you're adapting a mac and cheese recipe, bear that that in mind.

The Principal Cook

I make a really quick side for tacos or other Tex-Mex food. Drain one can of hominy and one can of black beans. Sauté in a neutral oil (I use grape seed oil with a splash of olive oil) one diced medium onion and garlic to taste (I use two or three cloves; we love garlic!) As the onion softens, add the hominy and the black beans, and season liberally with chili powder and ground cumin. Toss well, and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the hominy begins to color. Deglaze with about half a cup of chicken stock, and serve.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

ChezHenry

I made this dish recently from the Prune Cookbook, substituting manila clams for the razor clams-it was delicious: http://cooking.nytimes...