Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

I've got to bring deviled eggs to a new years eve party, I've got no idea how to do them ! Please help !!

asked by @cervatha almost 6 years ago
709cce19 92e3 4953 a02d d8e0d2c39c16  bestface

Bring your eggs to a boil, shut them off, and let them be for 7-8 minutes depending on their size.

Cool down in an ice bath, then peel them. Slice in half, take out the yellow yolk, put all in bowl, mix mix mix (saying it three times calms me down) with herbs (chives, parsley, really anything you want to make them tasty), salt, pepper, chili flake, I like bacon myself, and some mayonnaise (you can also substitute yogurt). Also add a touch of lemon juice or champagne vinegar for a nice punch of flavor. Make sure the mixture isn't runny, as you will stuff this mixture back into your halved egg whites.

Voila! C'st bonne!

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

@goodappetite (Melissa Clark) has a delicious twist on deviled eggs in the NY Times and in her book.

http://bit.ly/fS2qrO

The smoked paprika makes the eggs a little spicy; you can substitute sweet paprika.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

It's also good to add an ounce or two of smoked salmon and some dill to the yolks and mayo, maybe a squeeze of lemon juice, then top the stuffed eggs with a dab of caviar.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

For New Years Eve you might consider going "fancy" with creme fraische and lemon mixed into the yolk, and then as Kayb says, a dab of caviar on top of each egg. Some chives are nice. If you get both red and black caviar it looks pretty!!! Also if you DO use caviar go easy on the salt elsewhere ...

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

Here's my recipe, which you can make without the smoked trout (but I love the flavor it adds): http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Add a little of the brine from a jar of olives as you mix mix mix the egg yolks. You can top with a slice of green olive stuffed with red pepper for pretty.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I love deviled eggs. From the simple 'old school' ones my mom used to make (yolk mashed with Hellman's mayo and regular old yellow mustard - yes, I mean French's, not Dijon - and a final sprinkle of sweet paprika) to fancier variations.

There are lots of good ideas here already (I especially love them topped with a bit of smoked salmon/trout, or a dab of caviar, and snipped chives - luscious.) Two more suggestions: add some Madras Curry powder and a pinch of salt to the yolk mixture and top with a dab of chutney; or, mash a little lemon juice and some anchovy paste into the yolk mixture - or top with a sliver of anchovy - and garnish with a small pitted Kalamata olive or slice of roast red pepper. You can be endlessly creative with them - I'd experiment and make an assortment.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I like all suggestions but I also like plain ol' mayo with a little french's yellow mustard, salt n pepper, garnished w/ paprika (classic 50's). One tip: before filling the halves, slice off a thin sliver from the botyom of each "boat." This way they won't wobble...

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

All great ideas, but if possible pipe the filling instead of spooning (much easier). Gives a little nicer presentation too.