replacement for pomegranate

I planned on a pear, goat cheese salad that has pomegranate arils as garnish. But I was not able to find a pomegranate in store, nor the cups of arils. I am looking to replace them, mostly to provide color. This is a composed salad, pear halves with honey and goat cheese on top. I was thinking maybe frozen raspberries with the juice dribbled on top? Other suggestions?

asked by caninechef over 3 years ago

Aliwaks

Can you find those freeze dried raspberries in the store? They have them at Whole Foods- those would add color and bit of crunch.

If not that salad sounds like it could handle a few dried cranberries.

Francois de Melogue

I would add toasted hazelnuts as a textural component as well. They go well with the pears and the cheese. I used to do a salad with fresh burrata, caramelized pears (in honey and butter), arugula with crispy serrano ham...

Cherries. This time of year, morello (sour ones) that come in jars or cans, brandied (fancy food shops or make at home), dried. Or a touch of black or red currant preserves mixed in the dressing.

davidpdx

Dried cranberries would work well, too.

drshakyhands

I second dried cherries or cranberries. I just saw fresh red currants at Whole Foods the other day too (made me some brown sugar muffins...) which have that nice bite that pomegranate seeds do.

Meaghan F

The fruits suggested here (raspberries, cranberries, etc.) would all be good subs, but maybe see if you can find freeze-dried instead of frozen - crunchy texture, but no temp difference.

caninechef

Thanks for ideas, I like the dried cranberry idea, could sprinkle on a few nuts also for texture.

LE BEC FIN

glad you said that; i agree w/ david. When I think of the other options, it is dried cranberries (and Irani dried barberries) that have some tartness to them like (but less than) pomegranate seeds.