🔕 🔔

replacement for pomegranate

I planned on a pear, goat cheese salad that has pomegranate arils as garnish. But I was not able to find a pomegranate in store, nor the cups of arils. I am looking to replace them, mostly to provide color. This is a composed salad, pear halves with honey and goat cheese on top. I was thinking maybe frozen raspberries with the juice dribbled on top? Other suggestions?

asked by caninechef over 2 years ago

3a07161a c04e 4fa1 b28d 18a97a109314  img 7662

Can you find those freeze dried raspberries in the store? They have them at Whole Foods- those would add color and bit of crunch.

If not that salad sounds like it could handle a few dried cranberries.

Dc788675 9cfe 4c71 8705 53188c9d7539  open uri20140723 23164 l0nala

I would add toasted hazelnuts as a textural component as well. They go well with the pears and the cheese. I used to do a salad with fresh burrata, caramelized pears (in honey and butter), arugula with crispy serrano ham...

Cherries. This time of year, morello (sour ones) that come in jars or cans, brandied (fancy food shops or make at home), dried. Or a touch of black or red currant preserves mixed in the dressing.

Dried cranberries would work well, too.

D4bb8500 a3be 4577 b992 6f896286c8e2  spoon

I second dried cherries or cranberries. I just saw fresh red currants at Whole Foods the other day too (made me some brown sugar muffins...) which have that nice bite that pomegranate seeds do.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

The fruits suggested here (raspberries, cranberries, etc.) would all be good subs, but maybe see if you can find freeze-dried instead of frozen - crunchy texture, but no temp difference.

Thanks for ideas, I like the dried cranberry idea, could sprinkle on a few nuts also for texture.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

glad you said that; i agree w/ david. When I think of the other options, it is dried cranberries (and Irani dried barberries) that have some tartness to them like (but less than) pomegranate seeds.