leftover juice from canning pears

I canned some pears in a syrup of 1/2 cup honey to 1 1/2 cups water (with hibiscus leaves stewed in it and then removed before canning). I'm wondering if I can use the leftover juice for anything?

asked by ktr about 4 years ago

You could use it to moisten a sponge cake before filling and frosting. It would be delicious in iced tea, but we're sort of out of that season.

lem monade

That sounds delicious, not just as iced tea: start instead hot fruit punch & mulled wine season early and add your syrup to those (or just use to sweeten plain black tea to give it a fruity note).
Or you could boil it down to reduce it to a thicker consistency and drizzle over all kinds of things: panna cotta, ice cream, yoghurt… use to soak cake cubes / ladyfingers in a trifle or pear tiramisù.

Good idea on the mulled wine thing. I am in denial that summer has moved on.

lem monade

So am I, Susan! In fact, I would not have thought of it, if I hadn't made some spiced red wine poached pears myself the other night, which made the whole flat smell like a christmas market…

ktr
ktr

Thanks for the ideas. I may have to try it with black tea. Your idea of cooking it down sounds wonderful!

CarlaCooks

Whenever I have left-over sweetened juices/syrups, I try to use them in either booze (I bet pear syrup would go great in a kir or mixed with vodka) or as a flavoring/sweetener for whipped cream. You could also use it to fill up baked apples (use instead of maple syrup or honey). I think some crunchy granola over apples baked with the syrup would be delicious!

ktr
ktr

Love the idea of baked apples! We are getting a bushel of apples next week and I'm going to have to try that.

PazzoNico

Cook it down with more sugar (or brown sugar, or honey) and maybe a couple of those canned pears and use it as a glaze to baste onto chicken or a baked ham. Add some spices to balance out the sweetness; maybe cardamom, coriander, cumin, cloves, etc.

Matilda Luk

I would add sparkling water to it to make a homemade soda.

Delicious. Add some red wine and make poached pears.