Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

I'm using OO flour and let it rest for 72 hours as recommended. My oven was at 525. That's as high it will go. Ten mins or so.

It came out kind of raw and tasted floury. I'm worried about cooking it longer because I don't want the toppings to burn. It was also soggy. Any suggestions? I want it to have a nice crisp. But obviously not dry and burned.

asked by Tasha over 1 year ago
C1ea1f13 8f50 4d99 a9f7 06ed2b62c690  image

Yes I have a stone and hear the oven on max for at least 45 minutes. The other way I used to bake my pizzas they turned out great. Using this flour and recipe for a Neapolitan pizza it seems soggy

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

That's my go to flour for pizza. I started using a stone and about 500 and preheat the stone a LONG time. Almost an hour.

But lately I've been rolling out the dough on the back of a 1/2 sheet pan and then decorate the pizza and put the pan in the oven without a stone. That works very well.

Also..I only use 1 cup of 00 flour and 2 cups of bread flour.

I'm with you, Sam on the ratio. However, I can't seem to make pizza (or bread) down here in Florida. They tell me it's the water. I'm from Wooster St. New Haven, CT. Pepe's, Sally's, if you know the area. Any suggestions? (other than go back home) lol Thanks.

You're on the right track, Tasha. I find that if I toss the hand-pulled pizza into the oven on the stone for 5 to 7 minutes, then remove it and then top it (and not heavily at that) and return it to the oven, the results are wonderful. Alternatively, you could be anti-American/pro-Italian and top your pizza sparingly and bake it and its toppings all at once.

F16adcb5 e667 4c56 8d37 2984714c46e9  open uri20131025 3491 1e6gbf8

Wow - I've only had to let my dough rest for > 24 hours. I've never had to preheat the quarry tiles I used for more than 15 minutes. If the crust is soggy, it is possible that there is a considerable amount of extra liquid left in your sauce or toppings. I try to remove as much moisture as possible from my sauce before applying it, and I make sure that any toppings i apply aren't too wet either. Only enough sauce is needed to just barely cover the surface, any more and it will be too much.

Bread flour is just regular flour right? Anyone try cake flour

Bread flour tends to have a somewhat higher protein content than your average all-purpose flour, and definitely more than cake or pastry flour. I would definitely avoid substituting one for the other.

Your average bread flour usually has ~ 12% or greater of protein
Antimo Caputo Tipo '00' flour has about 10% of protein
Pastry or cake flour (I use White Lily) has < 7% of protein

You really want a sufficient amount of protein in your pizza dough or else it will not form enough elasticity from the gluten and it will not produce a proper texture.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

My personal preference for pizza is to use all King Arthur Flour all-purpose flour. It makes a sturdy, crisp crust. I tried mixing tipo 00 a few times, and found the dough to be very delicate, almost too delicate to stretch out properly. It's important to play around with different proportions and flours because everyone has different tastes and different home ovens. My latest pizza "toy" is the Baking Steel, which I bought in the food52 store. I love it.

1e4d7b52 fd4f 4798 ae19 d0f715768358  ry 400

Tasha, what brand of flour were you using? Since 00 denotes just the grind (a finer flour than others), the protein level can vary quite a bit. You may want to try a 00 that has a slightly higher protein content or blend it with some AP flour as mrslarkin suggested. Many 00 flours are lower in protein and thus more elastic and "free-flowing", and are best for very very thin crust pizzas or crackers. If you're making a more substantial crust, I'd try blending in some higher protein flour and see if that helps out.

Yea I'm using Caputo 00 pizzeria flour. I'm going to mix a bit of AP next time

I did this again tonight:

Here are my suggestiong.

Dough: I used 1 cup of the 00 flour and 2 cups of bread flour. 1 1/2 tsp salt..1 1/2 tsp sugar...1 1/2 tsp 'bread machine yeast'.

1 cup plus 2 table spoons of warm water. (that went in a bread machine on 'mix' only.

let it rise..punch it down (in the machine) let it rise again.

Then devide it it..because it makes two pizzas..just save the second ball in the 'frige for a couple of days---it makes the BEST bagget bread..etc. Great crusty stuff.

Okay. Preheat oven to 475.

Use an inverted half sheet plan and work on the back of the pan.

I also used a sheet of silplat..(a non stick baking mat) to help with rolling out the crust. use wax papper and your hands and streach and roll the dough out.

Flip the dough over and spread it on the back of the sheet pan.

Then decorate it with sauce and stuff.

The heat from the oven transfers very well through the sheet pan which helps crisp up the crust on this 00 flour. That crisps the bottom.

Also..remove the pizza to a rack, with air circulation after cooking; that will help dry out and crisp the crust.

Timing: The 475 in the oven was about 13 mins..it all depends on the thickness etc. But a slightly slower oven will crisp the bottom without burning the top.

I hope this helps....

I love this flour; it's a bit tricky to work with. But use it. 1 cup 00 and 2 cups USDA Bread Flour..and add 2 table spoons liquid to the basic pizza dough recipe.

@john

RE: Florida water.
If you're using tap water in Sulfer is a problem. And for tap water there's lots of stuff used to remove the sulfur that hangs around.

Okay.
Use filtered water. Bottled water for your pizza.
While Florida does have lime stone in it's water table--the sulfur overpowers that.

Recreate the NY water. Mineral water..
If you can find Calcium Carbonite. Use that.
But you probably don't want to do that. http://en.wikipedia.org...

For a quick and dirty: Add about 1/2 baking soda to 1 qt of water, add a pinch of epson salts to the water.
That should come close to mimicing NYC water.
http://blog.khymos.org...

1/2 tsp to a quart.
Or even a pinch less. I use just a pinch and a couple of grains of epson salt to my 'soda stream' water.

A1f55a3c 96b3 44ae a014 58ed6eae081a  fb avatar
Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey is known for his innovative no-knead bread recipe, popularized by the New York Times; he is the Founder/Owner of Sullivan Street Bakery, Chef/Partner of Co. Restaurant, and is the acclaimed cookbook author of "My Bread" and "My Pizza."

In order to provide you with the best answer, please answer the following questions!
-How long did you bake for?
-How long did you ferment for?
-What was the inside and outside temperature?
-Are you measuring in weight or volume?
-What type of flour? What brand?
-Did you check on it every couple of hours and shake it or move it around?
-What type of yeast did you use? And, how old is it?

These will allow me to get a better idea of what you're working with.
Please also send photographs of your finished bread - inside and outside! These will all help me. Thanks!