How should I transport my turkey for Thanksgiving?

I am cooking a 12lbs bird with the Judy Bird method and bringing it to my dad's house across town. Will I dry it out if I quarter the rested turkey and reheat when I arrive? I'm aiming not to dry the thing out or lose too much crispness of the skin. I guess the other option is that I transport it whole...quickly making gravy and then letting it do some resting in the car and carving there? I read the following suggestion on thekitchn:

Let turkey rest for one full hour after cooking. Carve turkey into quarters (2x breasts+2x legs/thighs), place on a sheet tray and set in a 450˚ F oven for 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven and carve into smaller pieces for plating. Turkey will be hot, juicy, AND crispy! Voilá!

asked by julianne114 almost 4 years ago

Check out Tom's article - he rests his turkey in an ice chest - seems like you could combine rest / drive time successfully this way!

https://food52.com/blog...

julianne114

What an awesome article :)