Apple pie filling is dry

In the process of baking my apple pie, and the filling is quite dry and it’s taking longer than expected to cook it. I covered the pie with foil but when I checked on it at 45 min, it’s fairly raw and dry. Thank you in advance!!

• Posted by: Shailaja
  • November 22, 2018

Shailaja November 22, 2018
Turned out great, thanks everyone for the help. Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving!!

Smaug November 22, 2018
An apple pie that size will take an hour to bake at 400- could your oven be cool? If the apples were lacking moisture they'd look like great grampaw and you'd probably have noticed- probably just more time. Foil should be unnecessary unless you need it to keep the rim from overbaking- it would probably tend to steam the crust, not what you want.

Stephanie B. November 22, 2018
Yes I think Eric is right - your apples probably won't start releasing more water until they cook a bit more. But if it's still dry when you're ready to serve and you have the ingredients handy, serve it with some whipped cream or maybe even a caramel sauce.

Eric K. November 22, 2018
Hi there, what recipe are you using?

Shailaja November 22, 2018
My mother’s :( it’s 5 cups apples, 3 tbsp flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Eric K. November 22, 2018
You know, that looks pretty normal to me. Sounds like you just need to let the pie bake longer—apple pie takes FOREVER. My issue has always been apples that are too-watery, so just leave it there a little longer and let me know what happens?