Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Leftover Pesto

I have some pesto leftover after making pasta today. I need some recipe ideas, however please keep in mind that I live in a small city in S. Korea and may ingredients are either not available or are unaffordable. I have onions, bell peppers, spicy peppers, carrots, veggie stock, milk, bacon, cheddar and colby jack cheese, garlic, garlic stems and potatoes on hand. I was planing on making smothered chicken tomorrow (http://cooking.nytimes...) Is there a way to incorporate the pesto into this recipe? I'd prefer not making pasta again as my husband is not a big fan. Thanks in advance.

asked by Rachelwrites over 1 year ago
C4950803 7ae7 4d2a 9c91 ff8b856fe028  dscf0339

Oh, and I don't have an oven. Only a single burner.

You don't need a recipe. Just think of pesto as a condiment that goes with a lot of things. For example, sauté some of the vegetables from your list in the order you think they would reach doneness; just prior to serving, stir in a good dollop of the pesto. Or, for the potatoes alone, boil them in chunks, then toss with some pesto when they are done. I suspect just putting a dollop on individual servings of the chicken would be quite tasty, too.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

You could boil the potatoes, cut them to whatever size you like, and then toss them in the leftover pesto as a side to the chicken. The only difficulty would be having it all hot at the same time if you only have one burner. Personally I wouldn't add the pesto to the smothered chicken.

Yeah I've had about 6 months to get the heating logistics down. I was planning on making butter boiled potatoes with the chicken, so I'm liking the idea of making pesto potatoes.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oops, guess great minds think alike!

Agree with David and Kristen (pesto as a condiment) but with a slight variation..goes with a lot, but not with everything. So, for ex, make a soup of your vegetables, or vegetables abd bacon, then add a spoonful of pesto to each serving as a garnish, as people do wiith minestrone. Omit, as you may note, the Colby & cheddar, so they din't fight with the parm/pecorino in the pesto. Save them for another meal. Same with crag Claiborne smothered chichen...let that recipe sing as it was meant to be sung. For 1-burner logistics, make the chicken, take off heat, make the soup. When soup is done, put the chicken back on low heat to keep warn, serve the soup, then the chicken. Other quick/good uses for leftover pesto: on toast or bruschetta, in omelet, as a dipping sauce for hot or cold vegetables, to top a nice fillet of simple white fish, like cod .

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Just fyi, pesto freezes well if it has a layerof oil over it. Toss it with and cooked vegetables or any starch. Have you ever tried making a 'risotto' using Asian short grain sticky rice? It does work! and you could fold pesto into it at the end of cooking. (Shrimp or chicken would be good in that pesto risotto too.) You can also add it to a cream sauce or a wine sauce or to a salad dressing with oil and vinegar. You can also use it as a meat,poultry or seafood marinade. You could also mix it with shrimp or chicken for a filling for Asian dumplings!

Also, just fyi, pesto is so versatile! it can be made with other herbs, like cilantro, and with other nuts (walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios etc.)

p.s. re: your foodstuffs on hand:
egg dishes- omelets or scrambled eggs or frittatas can all be delicious when pesto is one of their fillings.(How about bacon, potato, onion and pesto in an omelet? yum!)

I love the idea of the risotto. I have a ton of that rice.

pp.s. it COULD go into the chickenstock sauce
of the smothered chicken ( add some lemon juice) but i think it would be better next to the chicken-on starch or vegetables.

I was considering an omelet or maybe a breakfast hash.

239f46df 56e5 44e7 bccd 04b56ff8320b  original

Pesto potato salad is one of my favorite things to eat, ever. You can just boil the potatoes. Really delicious!