Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette - can the unbaked dough be frozen?

I am interested in making the 4-hour baguette, but there are just two of us, and three baguettes are a lot! Has anyone tried freezing the dough, unbaked. Sometimes wetter doughs seem not to freeze as well, so I wanted to check.

Posie (Harwood) Brien

I haven't tried it with this recipe -- but I generally adhere to the guideline of freezing a yeast bread after the first rise, but before the second. I'd also recommend doubling the amount of yeast called for -- freezing slows down the yeast activity considerably and doubling helps achieve the proper amount of rise.

irina
irina March 18, 2015

I made this bread and we demolished it. Only two of us also.
Very good.
Not sure about freezing the dough. But I freeze pizza dough. I just defrost the dough in the fridge and then proof it in a bowl on the counter top.

Patricia
Patricia March 18, 2015

Why not make the loaves, cool on counter, then wrap extras really well and freeze. You'll have a great loaf next week & the week after.

boulangere March 18, 2015

Yes.