Veggie Pot Pie - make ahead? Do I need to freeze?

I am making one for this Sunday and want to make the dough / filling today. Will the dough / filling keep 5 days? Do I need to freeze them separately? Should I assemble and freeze the whole assembled unbaked pie? If so, can I bake from frozen? How would that change cooking time / temp? Should I bake and freeze? If so, can I reheat in the oven from frozen? Help!

asked by Karo Wilk over 2 years ago

byb
byb

Hi Karo! If I were you, I'd assemble and freeze the whole unbaked pie. After you pull from the freezer, brush an egg wash over the entire top crust and then pop into the oven at somewhere around 375. If you are using a regular size pie pan, check it at around 35 minutes by sticking a knife through one of the crust slits and see how it is going. You might crank the heat up towards the end to brown the crust.

I'm not sure what veggies you're planning to use, but do keep in mind that some (like potatoes) don't necessarily hold up very well after being frozen. They certainly won't be inedible but might not be the ideal texture.

Good luck!

Karo Wilk

Thanks! I will leave the potatoes out of the filling... :)