A question about a recipe: Mushrooms and Garbanzos on Toast with Cider and Thyme

9d8ce246 78bf 44b3 8fe0 4bf1976e2f42  2015 0224 chickpeas and mushrooms on toast mark weinberg 248

I have a question about the recipe "Mushrooms and Garbanzos on Toast with Cider and Thyme" from Rebecca Sullivan Fallihee. What would be a good substitute for the arrowroot in this recipe? Thanks!

asked by ella11 over 3 years ago

The arrowroot is used as a thickener, since mushrooms give off a lot of water and in this recipe are also mixed with other liquids. If you don't have arrowroot, try 1 Tablespoon flour whisked hard with with 1 Tablespoon water. After stirring in, let things simmer for a minute to cook down.

Rebecca Fallihee | Eggplant + Olive

Pegeen's answer is spot on. Corn starch can also be used as a direct substitute for arrowroot!

ella11

Thanks Rebecca and Pegeen!