🔕 🔔

Coconut palm sugar in sponge cake

So I tried subbing coconut palm sugar in place of castor sugar in a sponge/castella recipe (the whipping of eggs + sugar part) knowing it might not work because palm sugar is more moist. Regardless, I wanted to try anyways and the cake came out chewy and dry.

What's a good "raw" sugar to use in a sponge cake? I know there's a lot of controversy with turbinado and demerara not being "raw" but I find that they would be a good alternative if I just grind it up.

Also, is it possible to half the sugar in these types of cakes when it's required to increase the volume/thicken the batter?

asked by carmen over 2 years ago

The chemistry and ratio of the ingredients are more important in baking than in other types of cookies. If you want a proper sponge, don't play around with the ingredients that are crucual to its success--unless you don't mind wasting ingredients and disappointing results. You can often reduce the sugar somewhat--10 percent by weight perhaps for a sponge, but I wouldn't try much less than that. And use the type of sugar that is called for--don't try to substitute.

Perhaps you should look at other recipes for sponge cakes if your recipe is too sweet. I would look for some older recipes, perhaps from the early 1900s--before our recipes got so sweet.

That is supposed to be "The chemistry and ratio of the ingredients are more important in baking than in other types of COOKING". Sorry for the other typos as well.

Another thought that may help is to check Michael Ruhlman's book, Ratio, or Harold McGee's or Shirley Corriher's books for ideas on how to adapt a recipe that will work.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

While 52 has alot of very experienced bakers, I would, at this point, suggest you google 'sponge cake and _______' for various sugar substitutes incl honey. Alice Medrich is a very knowledgeable baker/cookbook author and her books have examples of her scientific approach to experimenting off the traditional paths.

Do you mean something like this ? http://mimibakeryhouse..., https://jeannietay.wordpress... ? These recipes uses palm sugar for sponge cake.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

https://food52.com/blog...