Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Husband requesting old Easter recipe: paper thin, tied, glazed ham?

It sounds like some kind of 50's recipe but he loved it and wants it tomorrow! After slicing the ham, the butcher is supposed to tie it--? Does this sound familiar to anyone? It would be from the midwest.

asked by Elizabeth D Jacobs over 1 year ago
1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I'm no ham expert, but I've seen purchased spiral cut ham tied, glazed and baked - I assume tying holds it together so it bakes evenly.

Thanks, Amy - this is some weird regional thing. You slice apart the ham into almost see-through slices, then try to reassemble it to look like a real ham. (Crazy?!) Thanks...

Elizabeth, that makes sense that it's a regional thing. I have to say that I don't know of a way to get really thin (paper thin) slices of ham without having a butcher's slicer. It really can't be done by hand with a cooked ham. (Well, maybe a Sushi chef expert could do it.) A spiral-cut ham has slices thicker than that. They don't need to be tied up to the bone because they're able to hang onto the bone. But for paper thin, you would have to tie up the ham to hold all those thin slices together.