Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Uses for uncooked rice remnants?

I have maybe 1/4 cup or slightly more of a wild rice mix as the packages you buy always leave you with some leftover, but not enough to make another batch. Hate that. I really have no intention of buying another bag, but don't want to throw out the unused rice. Any wonderful creative suggestions on what to do with the remnants?

asked by JulieS over 1 year ago

Add it to an omelette. Local restaurant here makes a delicious wild rice omelette that includes cranberry and Brie.

I would add to tomato soup with some extra water and cook. Tastes great and bulks up the soup.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

Use it to stuff pork roast/chops, chicken or duck. Or, for a vegan meal, stuff a hollow vegetable (tomatoes, squash, zucchini... literally almost any veggie would work). It could also serve as a thickener in soups or stews as suggested above, or added to a meatloaf/ball mix. Lots of useful options! :)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I just combine all those remnants with other rices or rice mix remnants and cook them together. For example, you could add what's left of your rice mix to some plain brown mix and simply have a more dilute rice mix. Or your mix your rice mix with all of your other leftovers and have a more diverse blend. If you're already using mixes, you've already compensated for a variety of cooking times, and I've never had a problem with mixing up my own.