Uses for uncooked rice remnants?

I have maybe 1/4 cup or slightly more of a wild rice mix as the packages you buy always leave you with some leftover, but not enough to make another batch. Hate that. I really have no intention of buying another bag, but don't want to throw out the unused rice. Any wonderful creative suggestions on what to do with the remnants?

• Posted by: JulieS
  • April 21, 2015

TobiT
TobiT April 21, 2015

Add it to an omelette. Local restaurant here makes a delicious wild rice omelette that includes cranberry and Brie.

HalfPint April 21, 2015

I would add to tomato soup with some extra water and cook. Tastes great and bulks up the soup.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F April 21, 2015

Use it to stuff pork roast/chops, chicken or duck. Or, for a vegan meal, stuff a hollow vegetable (tomatoes, squash, zucchini... literally almost any veggie would work). It could also serve as a thickener in soups or stews as suggested above, or added to a meatloaf/ball mix. Lots of useful options! :)

Greenstuff April 21, 2015

I just combine all those remnants with other rices or rice mix remnants and cook them together. For example, you could add what's left of your rice mix to some plain brown mix and simply have a more dilute rice mix. Or your mix your rice mix with all of your other leftovers and have a more diverse blend. If you're already using mixes, you've already compensated for a variety of cooking times, and I've never had a problem with mixing up my own.