I've purchased basil that has quite a few big leaves, for planting. It doesn't smell like basil though. It has a weird sharp flavor.

The leaves are beautiful, bright, green and strong. I've noticed this scent before when purchasing basil. What is it? It said it was sweet basil!

asked by Tasha over 3 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Is it possible for you to download a photo of the plant?

Tasha

I can't seem to but it looks exactly like this:
http://www.edenbrothers.com/store/italian_large_leaf_basil_seeds.html

jeinde

It could be cinnamon basil, which does have a stronger flavor but looks just like regular basil (as does your photo).

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

It looks like Genovese basil.

Susan

Fresh basil can be surprisingly pungent. Did you try crumpling a leaf in your fingers and smelling it? Taste it too. Sometime the nose can fool you.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Thai basil is kind of spicy and sharply anisey. I wonder if there was a mix-up.

Sometimes when herbs mature, their flavor and scent can become sharper, more pungent. It is often the young leaves that have that "sweetness" we are familiar with. It may be that the large leaves are too mature.