I just bought scallops any suggestions on how to prepare them?

asked by xnowledge over 7 years ago

nutcakes

The scallops themselves are best just seared off in a very hot pan. Pat dry, salt and pepper. 5 to 6 minutes total, turning once. It's the sauce and the accompaniment to think on. This simple parsley lemon drizzle from Ellie Krieger is what I used last. She serves it on a bed of succotash, but use whatever is seasonal. I'd love some scallops on a bed of chard or with roasted cauliflower with this sauce.
1 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons water, as needed to slacken
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree.
Yield: 1/2 cup

Are they bay scallops (tiny) or sea scallops (fat)? We like pan-seared sea scallops. Or wrapped sea scallops in bacon and roasted in the oven. Or lightly breaded and fried. Or in a seafood chowder.

Careful not to overcook them, especially the tiny ones, or they'll be rubbery and you'll be disappointed.

"Your Best Scallops" was a Food52 contest theme last year. Check out these recipes for some great ideas:

If you just bought them fresh use them now. Highly perishable and will stink up your whole house. I would go with a shorter cooking time than my friend Nutcakes suggests. In a very hot skillet with butter maybe two minutes per side, even for thick meaty ones---they cook fast at high temp. Alternate method; en papillote (parchment paper package) baked in the oven with aromatics and a spritz of white wine. Bake in a preheated oven at 450F for 10 minutes.