best 'cheap' mandoline slicer?

looking for a reasonably priced (willing to pay around $30-35) mandoline slicer to use for vegetables? I live alone and only cook in relatively small quantities, I'm wanting to use this for a faster, easier way to get thinly sliced veggies. thanks!

asked by Emily Love over 3 years ago

i love my OXO!

healthierkitchen

will add my voice to the OXO, but I do use a "kevlar" glove because I'm a klutz with them

Chocolate Be

Speaking as one who has cut off the tip of her thumb using a mandoline (Oxo, but entirely my fault, not Oxo's), might I also suggest that when you buy your mandoline, you also get a cut-reisistant glove or gloves? After the thumb incident, I never use a mandoline without those gloves on! The blades on mandolines are super sharp, require very careful handling. I know of what I speak...

Excellent point - I also left a snack sized chunk of finger on my mandoline the first time I used it (trying to be cool like the TV chefs - slicing bare handed with no guard - don't do that) if you order your mandoline from Amazon, throw a pait of kevlar gloves in your basket. Here is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432727935&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+mandoline

http://www.amazon.com/CUTShield-Classic-Kitchen-Resistant-Contact/dp/B003DZ02MU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432727975&sr=8-3&keywords=kevlar+gloves

Emily Love

haha thank you! (and thank you aargersi for the link). have been reading horror stories on amazon reviews as well...thinking a glove would be a good addition. :)

bigpan

I've used my benriner for about 30-40 years. That makes it about 2cents a week !

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris