🔕 🔔

Cold brew in french press

Now i've found plenty of recipes for making cold brew in a french press. My question is it possible to do it in a 12 oz french press? I found a little bodum press hiding in a closet today. And the only thing I could think to use it for is cold brew since I do pour over for hot. If this is possible would anyone have a good coffee/water ratio? Thanks!!

asked by Jacob about 2 years ago

The problem is that it takes a lot of ground coffee to make cold brew coffee concentrate. I drink iced coffee during the warm weather. I use 1 lb coffee to 12 cups water. I actually let it sit at room temp for 12-16 hours. You could try 1.5 ounces coffee and one cup water just for the heck of it.

Susan W is right: it takes a lot of coffee to make cold brew. That said, it IS delicious. I've been making it for years and have found recommended ratios from 2:1 (water to coffee grounds, by volume) up to 7:1. In practice, for your 12 oz French press, this means from 3 tbsp to 3/4 cup grounds to 1.5 cups boiling water. Start at the weaker end and add more coffee each time you brew, until you reach a strength you like. Your taste will be affected by how you use the resulting concentrate - with water, over ice, with milk or cream. Good luck, and enjoy the coffee.

No boiling water with cold brew. You literally use cold water and let it sit overnight. It's smooth and wonderful.