Cold brew in french press

Now i've found plenty of recipes for making cold brew in a french press. My question is it possible to do it in a 12 oz french press? I found a little bodum press hiding in a closet today. And the only thing I could think to use it for is cold brew since I do pour over for hot. If this is possible would anyone have a good coffee/water ratio? Thanks!!

• Posted by: Jacob
  • May 31, 2015

Susan W May 31, 2015

The problem is that it takes a lot of ground coffee to make cold brew coffee concentrate. I drink iced coffee during the warm weather. I use 1 lb coffee to 12 cups water. I actually let it sit at room temp for 12-16 hours. You could try 1.5 ounces coffee and one cup water just for the heck of it.

Nancy May 31, 2015

Susan W is right: it takes a lot of coffee to make cold brew. That said, it IS delicious. I've been making it for years and have found recommended ratios from 2:1 (water to coffee grounds, by volume) up to 7:1. In practice, for your 12 oz French press, this means from 3 tbsp to 3/4 cup grounds to 1.5 cups boiling water. Start at the weaker end and add more coffee each time you brew, until you reach a strength you like. Your taste will be affected by how you use the resulting concentrate - with water, over ice, with milk or cream. Good luck, and enjoy the coffee.

Susan W May 31, 2015

No boiling water with cold brew. You literally use cold water and let it sit overnight. It's smooth and wonderful.