Bought unsalted butter: should have bought salted

Need salt butter for a baking recipe but bought unsalted out of habit. How much salt should I add?

asked by Food odyssea over 3 years ago

How much butter does it call for? In the U.S., there is about 1.25 tsp of butter in one pound. Other countries cut that in half or more.

Food odyssea

I need 2 sticks so I'm guessing 1/2 tsp salt should do. Thanks

That'll work.

Debra Carter

Usually there is a teaspoon of salt to every 100gm of butter.

Yikes. That would be over 4 tsp in a lb if I'm doing the math right. 1lb butter=453 grams. It's only 1.25 tsp per pound in the US and our salted butter is 4% sodium compared to 2% or less in the UK. Not sure where you live, but that would be some salty butter.

Food odyssea

1/2 teaspoon salt worked. Cookies taste as they should. Thanks. Always can count on Food 52'ers to come to my rescue.