🔕 🔔

increase amount of recipe for muffins

I'd like to increase the muffin recipe to make 18 muffins instead of 12. I know this is simple math but what is exactly the formula? Multiply each ingredient by 1.5?

asked by Stephanie G about 2 years ago

generally, yes. Easy for liquid and dry measures. A bit harder for egg. If I'm multiplying and I have a choice, I make enough to use whole eggs. Thus, if 1 doz requires 1 egg, I'll make double batch using 2 eggs and then freeze extras. If you can't/don't want to do that, use 1 egg white for half an egg. It will give you slightly more than half the volume, and help with the rising/expansion of the dough.

Ok...they are in the oven. I'll let you know how they turn out. I have made this recipe a million times but once I tried to increase it and it was a total flop. I know it's just basic math, but I need them for a neighborhood meeting this afternoon.

Yes. Your math is correct. When you encounter a bizarre quantity, simply round up to the next most logical unit. In the matter of eggs, if you encounter a fraction over 1, round up to 2, and so forth.

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Sometimes as well, with recipes written volumetrically, leavening doesn't scale well. Yet another reason to use metric measurements....the scaling is much more accurate.