I need ideas for an ice cream cake for a 9-year-old.

Hi All, My son is about to turn 9 and doesn't like traditional cake (wha??) but adores ice cream. sdebrango's Brooklyn Blackout Cake is spectacular but he may want to go the non-chocolate route. Other faves? Thank you!!

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

asked about 3 years ago

Last year I made a chocolate chip mint semi homemade ice cream cake that was very good. Here's a cool link to give you inspiration. I love the Sprinkles Cake! http://www.brit.co/ice...

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Thank you so much, sexyLAMBCHOPx! This is perfect!!! My son immediately chose the mint chocolate classic cake. FAB! :)

I don't blame him. Make me one!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Looks like the situation has been rectified, but I take a "how to make an ice cream cake without a recipe" approach. Simply take any cake recipe (I like oil based cakes since it will be served cold) and layer it, inside a lined cake ring or the collar to a springform, with any flavor of ice cream (freshly spun works the best, but beating cold ice cream in a mixer for a second does too), nuts, candies (Malt Balls!), fruit, crushed cookies, buttercream, meringue, etc. I like to use the Momofuku Milk Bar method of layering a cake, and then leave it naked, or cover it in ganache, whipped cream, meringue or buttercream.

I've done many a "build your own ice cream cake" for friends and family before.

Oh, and I like a combination of chocolate cake, caramel sauce, malt balls, coffee ice cream and blackberries. Cover that in a layer of ganache and line with malt balls. You're in business.

Or...maybe carrot cake, cheesecake ice cream, walnut praline, meringue and toasted coconut.

as POLC says, you may have your answer in the chocolate mint. but/and more ideas:
for birthdays shaped baking tin - cars, trucks, cartoon characters, whatever he likes are fun and a way to make the day special. see Wilton or other suppliers
black forest cake (without the kirsch) freeze beautifully and makes an ice-cream like cake, as do most chocolate mousse cakes.

PS on schwarzwalder kirschtorte I meant leave out the kirsch when serving to 9 yr olds. When serving to adults, keep it in, both for taste & smooth texture when freezing.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Thank you all so much!!!!!

Molly Fuller

Baskin Robbins?