Sour Cherries

Picked couple pounds of sour cherries, looking for some recipes either sweet or savory

asked by Nan almost 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Cherries are one of my absolute favorite things to bake with!!! They're flavorful, crisp, and don't exude too much liquid. I love them in a butter cake with almond streusel, in pie (!!!) or as individual galettes/hand pies, in clafoutis (which is a French baked custard, message me for a good recipe), in black forest cake, in banana bread, baked into a chocolate pound cake (I like to do individual loaves with fresh cherries, dried cherries and hazelnuts), throw em into a brioche bread pudding with chocolate chunks and pistachios, I bake them into little financier (which is a little brown butter-almond cake), in brownies, stewed and served over panna cotta, cheesecake or ice cream, wrapped in crepe, over pavlova, flourless cake....so many possibilities,

Nan
Nan

would love your recipe for the french baked custard
thank you just found these new little sour cherries

Alrighty, I'll upload it!

Its a little involved, but its SO worth it. If you're not into the idea of the tart crust (but really...worth it), It can be baked without the crust. Just butter the baking dish, and coat with a light dusting of sugar, then bake for 30 - 45 minutes.

https://food52.com/recipes...

Nan
Nan

I just made the Clafoutis just wondering should the custard be very thin & liquified when you pour into the baked shell?

Yes...it should be a batter-like consistency.

Nan
Nan

I would love your Brioche Bread Pudding with choc chunks & pistachios, I love a good Bread Pudding but never really found a great recipe, but I think you know of a great one!!!

I just put my bread pudding recipe on my profile. For this particular variety, I add ½ c. each: chocolate chunks and toasted pistachios (lightly crushed), I then add a good handful of cherries. Depending on their size, I may halve them. A little glug of amaretto doesn't hurt either ;).

lem monade

there are few things better than (whole) sour cherry jam: pit the cherries and mix with 1 pound of sugar for every 1 pound of pitted fruit; macerate for a few hours (or overnight in the fridge), then boil, stirring occasionally, until a little spoonful dropped on a freezing cold plate is jelling (30 mins is a good point to start testing). take off the heat and stir in a bit of lemon juice, let it all settle for a moment, then fill into sterilised jars.
put the jam on buttered toast, pancakes or waffles, stir into yogurt or porridge or vanilla pudding, top panna cotta, layer into a cake with a mascarpone or ricotta cream, bake into a tart or thumbprint cookies, …

This is pretty close to the sour cherry soup my Hungarian grandmother made in the summer (but she used sour cream, not yogurt): http://cooking.nytimes... Also, a clafoutis with sour cherries is wonderful.

yes to the cake, clafoutis, soup, jam so far recommended. if you like spirits and preserves, make brandied cherries...
http://www.dulanotes.com...

Kenn

One of my all time favorite condiments is a port shallot jam with sour cherries. It's amazing spread over a beef tenderloin, topping a grilled chicken, or as a glaze for pork. Or mix it with mayo for an out-of-this-world sandwich spread (makes a killer turkey club!).

In a large sauté pan sweat 1/2 lb finely chopped shallots. Add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 cup port, 4 springs thyme, 1/2 lb pitted sour cherries, pitted and finely chopped, and 1/4 tsp+/- salt—to taste. (If your cherries are super tart, you may want to add a bit of sugar, but the port and balsamic usually have enough sweetness without it.) Simmer on low until it's reduced to a thick, jammy consistency. Remove the thyme stems and whisk in a tablespoon or two of butter. Can be canned if you omit the butter.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Kenn, that sounds so delicious! Saving that recipe...

My cookbook, Delights of Jerusalem, includes a recipe (possibly Iraqi) for beef meatballs scented with allspice and cinnamon and studded with pine-nuts, in a cherry sauce that includes tamarind paste, lemon juice and sugar. I have never tried it, but it sounds very intriguing.

I meant to say, a cookbook in my collection, not one that I've written!

Just flipped through the new Bon Appetit - there's a recipe for Roasted Buttered Cherries to eat over vanilla ice cream - just sour cherries, butter and sugar roasted until they begin to caramelize. Sounds perfect. Doing that.