🔕 🔔

Can I replace some sweet cherries in place of sour cherries in a pie?

The recipe I have for cherry pie requires 2 lbs of pitted sour cherries. I just weighed what I have and I only have a pound and a half. I also have sweet cherries. Could I replace the missing 1/2 lb with sweet cherries and just cut back a little of the sugar or would that give the filling a different texture?

asked by singing_baker about 5 years ago

906ca374 ba21 4d3f 96e6 21fa0f9f91cb  fb avatar

Go for it. I would not cut back on the sugar very much though.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Sounds like your pie would be mostly sour cherries so I would only cut back a little on the sugar agree with Donnacita, there would be no difference in texture IMHO.

1dcc7c21 a794 442f 8a5f 1be76ddd7b94  you doodle 2017 02 12t14 57 20z

Guess I am with Donnacita and would go for it, keeping the sugar proportions more or less the same. Kudoes to you for cooking by weight! Makes life easier sometimes ...

The best Cherry Pies in the world IMHO use both sweet and sour cherries! I also would keep the sugar porportions the same.