If you had beautiful fresh ricotta but you were trying to eat low carb what would you do with it?

All of the recipes I've seen involve pasta, baking, crostini....and right now I'm trying to avoid pasta, sugar and bread...

• Posted by: Leah H
  • June 28, 2015

aargersi June 28, 2015

I would make - hmm what would this be callled? Not lasagna but assembled like a lasgana only use roasted slices of eggplant instead of pasta. Well I guess that's lasagna!

Or mix it with lemon zest and spoon it into grilled mushrooms and top with flaky salt. Or really plopped onto any grilled veggie.

Oh and I have been making zucchini "spaghetti" a lot which tastes nothing like spaghetti but is delicious. Also spaghetti squash, it could be stirred in with either of those that you have maybe sautéed with olive oil and garlic and addded loads of fresh herbs.

boulangere June 28, 2015

I love to whisk a few tablespoons into a vinaigrette, and drizzle it over a great big dinner salad.

witloof
witloof June 28, 2015

Have you tried substituting black bean pasta? I am on a mostly grain free diet and have been exploring bean pastas. I get it them Whole Foods. There's a brand called Explore Asian that makes a delicious black bean spaghetti, and another brand, Tolerant, that makes lots of pasta shapes out of black beans and lentils. They're so good I don't miss wheat pasta at all.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen June 28, 2015

How about cheesecake?
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Low-Carb-New-York-Ricotta-Cheesecake-Food-Network

Meaghan F
Meaghan F June 28, 2015

If you can find mini peppers, they're great stuffed with ricotta or goat cheese; if you don't mind spicy food, jarred cherry peppers are great stuffed too.

Kenn
Kenn June 28, 2015

This time of year I live making a salad with grilled romaine, topped with ricotta, fresh peas, mint, cucumber, and a lemony vinaigrette. It hits all the notes: crunchy, creamy, smokey, tangy, sweet, earthy...

I also like to chop a bunch of fresh herbs (dill/parsley/oregano/chives) and blend them into ricotta with a good amount of a bright, grassy olive oil, and serve it as a dip/spread with crudités.

Finally, beet rosti: shred beets on a box grater, toss with a light dusting of flour (about 1 Tbs/cup of beets), form into 1/4" thick pancakes, and sauté in butter. Sprinkle them with sea salt, top with ricotta and basil chiffonade. Not carb-free, but relatively low carb, and incredibly delicious.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick June 29, 2015
Nancy June 29, 2015

you could make a savory whipped sauce (think of favorite appetizers and add those flavors e.g., artichoke, onion, olive, spinach, basil) and use it for crudités dip. or sauce for fish.

Eline - Tuk's Kitchen

What about mixing it with eggs and baking it into beautifull little pancakes that you can then top with smoked salmon for example? Or ricotta-gnocchi (although I am not sure how you could turn those completely low-carb).

Stephanie G
Stephanie G June 29, 2015

I would make a frittata and drop spoonfuls on top before I broiled it. Or you could make an omelet and put it inside with some fresh herbs. You could top the omelet with a cherry tomato sauce made from tomatoes, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.

ChefJune June 29, 2015

I would blend it with some fresh ehrbs and use it to stuff zucchini blossoms. Then I would bake them in a light tomato sauce.

ChefJune June 29, 2015

You could also use it in a "lasagne" made with zucchini slices rather than pasta. Or stuff zucchini "boats" with ricotta mixed with the insides of the zucchini, garlic and herbs.

HalfPint June 29, 2015

I would top with some slivered almonds, fresh fruit, lemon zest , and a drizzle of honey.

amysarah June 29, 2015

In Suzanne Goin's Sunday Suppers at Lucques, there's a recipe for a delicious savory ricotta custard. Very rich - cream & eggs - but pretty carb-free save for a thin layer of breadcrumbs in the pan, which I think you could skip.

Nancy June 29, 2015

I haven't made that recipe, but in other similar ones have successfully substituted a crushed nut mixture for breadcrumbs. Good for taste, crunch & reducing carbs in total recipe.

Leah H
Leah H June 29, 2015

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going with Abbie & June's ideas and my "lasagne" with eggplant and zucchini and mushroom layers is currently in the oven.

I love some of the other ideas too and will refer back to this post for future ricotta yumminess. Thank you!

sonya
sonya August 10, 2015

I absolutely LOVE the eggplant gratin recipe from Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris: http://www.foodnetwork...

Also I rather like ricotta plain, too :)