🔕 🔔

I have heavy cream from trader joe's but no easy recipes -help!

I bought the heavy cream to make ganache for a dinner party dessert recipe. The dinner party ended up not happening. I am also trying to watch my weight (what's new!). What do I do now?

asked by Andie S about 2 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

If you search "Articles" for heavy cream, you'll find multiple features on how to use it up... One of the less-rich offerings is a green goddess dressing - great for salad or as a dip for grilled/steamed veggies.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

You could lightly sweeten it and whip it up as a simple topping for macerated berries. You can add a little vanilla or cinnamon or cardamom if you want, to make it a little more interesting. The cream is still high in fat of course, but a little can go a long way with a light dessert like that.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Also, you know I've been known to put TJ's heavy cream in my coffee...

420908ad 651e 46ac b88a 9cfbd6c602e3  open uri20141010 31964 ysrmyy

I agree whit Nancy homemade butter

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

If you decide to make butter, something I occasionally do with leftover heavy cream, make sure you knead the butter a bit to get all the whey out and rinse off any of the whey that may still be clinging to it, as it can spoil. You can freeze the butter for future use. You can also simply freeze the cream for use in cooking, eg. soups and such, but not for whipping. Or whip it, make dollops on a parchment lined baking sheet, freeze until hard, then gently place in a freezer bag for when you want a little whipped cream topping on something.

24a41bf3 d166 4307 85bb ce5ef11ce5da  2013 12 25 07.26.07

Mmmm, the butter idea is great! I've done that myself. Another suggestion, if eaten in moderation, since you are dieting is the Eton Mess recipe. I haven't made it, but it looks as though I'm going to. Love fresh berries in anything. Whipping up cream is even better.
(You don't have to add any of the cookies, if you prefer). Customize!

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

You can freeze heavy cream. It will still have good texture, and whip very well after you thaw it. Sometimes a little of the fat separates out (similar to how it sometimes rises to the top in the carton) but that will incorporate as you whip it, or after gentle whisking if you'd like to use it as a liquid.

Gotta try that!

Bb8eebca 137f 4c7a b30f f248fff3f3af  recentpic

http://lollipopsicle.net... I made this recipe the other night and it was a hit.

Thank you all for your answers! Nancy- I am going to try making butter as you recommended, but for now, i am following cookbookchick and dinneratten's suggestions to freeze it as the best by date is almost here and I am going to be unable to do a whole lot before the long weekend!

Well, Andie, nice to hear that you're going to make the butter. Know, like many cooking experiences, it may not be perfect the first time, but it's fun to see how butter is made and nice to be able to flavor it as you like. Happy 4th (and a little bit before, Canada Day), 2 places where 800 yr old Magna Carta and tradion of civil law provide many freedoms.

Watching weight and heavy cream don't really go together, so I can't help you on that one, but one of my favorite super easy desserts is an ice-box cake. I think there's a recipe on the back of the Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers in the long skinny yellow box in the cookie section of the grocery store. You could also whip up little bits of whipped cream to top other desserts with. It will last a while if unopened.