How to imitate worchestershire sauce??

What would I add to a gazpacho for example to mimic worchestershire sauce?

asked by Natalie about 3 years ago

Is there a reason you don't want to use it? I have a recipe for it. It's made with all kinds of umami ingredients. You can check the recipe and see if you want to make it or come up with a close version.
http://nourishedkitchen...

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

The only thing I can think of is a little Asian fish sauce....but I've never used it in a non-cooked dish before.

Worstershire is a complex blend of many flavors, among them tamarind, and all of them resulting in a great, yet subtle, umami sense. Honestly, I'd suggest springing for a bottle of the real thing.

If I didn't have any in the house I would sub soy sauce.

Regardless of which condiment you decide to use, know that the sodium contents vary wildly. 1 tablespoon of either soy or fish sauce contains 38% or 40%, respectively of one's daily recommended intake. A similar amount of Worstershire, on the other hand, contains 9%. The moral of the story is: taste, then season.

This is such a great question, and it drove me to my condiment cupboard to do some serious label reading. Soy sauce is comprised of 5 ingredients: water, wheat, soybeans, salt, and sodium benzoate as a preservative. Fish sauce contains 4 ingredients: anchovies, salt, sugar, and water. Worcestershire is made up of 11 ingredients, in order: white vinegar, molasses, water, sugar, onions, anchovies, salt, garlic cloves, tamarind extract, natural flavorings (whatever that means, a secret, in other words), and chili pepper extract. It is not exactly Nobel-quality thinking to deduce that you'll get a much greater depth of flavor from Worcestershire. Thank you. I leaned a lot from your question, Natalie.

Natalie

Thanks for your help!

P.S. And Worcestershire is gluten-free!

Try salt and and an acid (like vinegar or lemon juice). Most gazpacho recipes I've seen uses sherry vinegar.

Meaghan F

Assuming this is because you don't have any handy? As boulengere noted above, Worcestershire sauce has too many ingredients to properly recreate it at home without a lot of extra work - I'd suggest leaving it out, then adjusting the finished gazpacho to taste with items you already have.

Here's an interesting thread on this subject:

https://food52.com/hotline...

I am not sure if one of the "secret" flavors is allspice, but I suspect that Worcestershire contains a bit it. I'd probably "melt" an anchovy in a touch of oil, stir in a tiny pinch of allspice and finish it off with a dash of soy and perhaps a touch of lime. Then I'd strain it, to use in an uncooked dish. ;o)

Peggasus

Soy sauce and perhaps a drop or two of fish sauce might be ok substitutes. My sister-in-law happens to be allergic to fish and shellfish (and anchovies, which Worchestershire contains. So when I make fifteen pounds of beef jerky for Christmas gifts, she couldn't have any. Now I marinate a small batch just for her without it. For people with severe reactions like that, they'd never know; I sure didn't.

scruz

i would suggest a vegetarian would like a substitution for both worchestershire sauce (contains anchovies which are a fish) and fish sauce (which contains fish). if this is the case, i would imagine a vegan or vegetarian web site might have recipes for substitutions.

sonya

I remember seeing a recipe to make your own and it had a billion ingredients; I don't think there's a perfect substitute because that's the beauty of worchestershire sauce - the company already did the hard work for you to make a complex sauce. However, you might try looking at the ingredients in a homemade worcestershire sauce and seeing if you have any of them in your fridge to add to your gazpacho (this may work out to your liking, or may not); for example, I found one online that contains these ingredients:

1/2 cup malt vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup naturally fermented fish sauce (find it here)
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
1 tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce
3 tablespoons onion juice, or 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, finely minced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
8 anchovies, minced
Juice of 1 lime

If you look at the above posts, you'll see I posted a link to Nourished Kitchen's Worcestershire sauce. I never buy it. It's easy and fun to make and I like the taste better. I think yours is the same. I like making a lot of my condiments. Ghee, mayo, ketchup, taco seasoning and rubs.

sonya

@ Susan, cool! I just googled that one; I decided not to make it, but you have inspired me to at least think that I would have great results if I ever decide to!

I had everything but the onion juice. I thought it would be hard to find, but there it was in the spice aisle. Probably more of a hassle than anything if you don't have the ingredients, but all I buy when I make it is a shallot and lime. I could drink the stuff straight.