I have a recipe for Brown Gravy Mix which calls for 2/3 cup of dried minced garlic, which I don't have.....but I do have garlic powder. Can anyone tell me how much garlic powder to use to substitute for the dried garlic?

asked by Janet Kesterson Haffner almost 3 years ago

Meaghan F

Do you have any fresh garlic on hand...? If so, I'd sub with that instead, maybe around 1/3-1/2 cup. If garlic powder is all you have, though, I'd start with no more than 1/3 cup and adding more to taste at the end.

Janet Kesterson Haffner

Yes, I have fresh garlic, but this is for a dry mix, to use to make the gravy when needed, so I can't use the fresh garlic for it. Thanks. :)

Found this online http://www.foodsubs.com... has some great information on substitutes and types of garlic. Hope it helps.

Janet Kesterson Haffner

Thanks....you are right. This page has a lot of good information.

Marcmarc

Couldn't you make it make it and add it in increments to taste? 2/3 cup of dried minced garlic is a whole lot, but it's not going to be anything like that much garlic powder. How much gravy does the recipe make?