🔕 🔔

I would like to try Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey with garlic. would you recommend crushed freah garlic or garlic powder??

asked by Terry Novak over 6 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Hi Terry! Check out Step 1 of the recipe, copied here: "You can flavor the salt with herbs and spices if you like -- try smoked paprika and orange zest, bay leaf and thyme, or rosemary and lemon zest. Grind together with the salt in a spice grinder, small food processor, or mortar and pestle." If you think garlic finds a place in that, go for it!

Terry Novak

Thank you. I did see that and wanted to use rosemary, thyme, and lemon and add garlic, but was not sure if the moisture in the fresh garlic would change the nature of the dry brine Although, i do see that lemon zest would have moisture also. My inclination is to go with fresh crushed. Thank again, for your prompt response!

RobertaJ

My concern for both the lemon zest and the fresh garlic would be that if you sprinkled it over the bird, it would burn in the oven. I think I'd only add them into the cavity. That said, fresh is usually always better than dried/powdered.