A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

I would like to try Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey with garlic. would you recommend crushed freah garlic or garlic powder??

asked by Terry Novak almost 5 years ago
Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Hi Terry! Check out Step 1 of the recipe, copied here: "You can flavor the salt with herbs and spices if you like -- try smoked paprika and orange zest, bay leaf and thyme, or rosemary and lemon zest. Grind together with the salt in a spice grinder, small food processor, or mortar and pestle." If you think garlic finds a place in that, go for it!

Thank you. I did see that and wanted to use rosemary, thyme, and lemon and add garlic, but was not sure if the moisture in the fresh garlic would change the nature of the dry brine Although, i do see that lemon zest would have moisture also. My inclination is to go with fresh crushed. Thank again, for your prompt response!

My concern for both the lemon zest and the fresh garlic would be that if you sprinkled it over the bird, it would burn in the oven. I think I'd only add them into the cavity. That said, fresh is usually always better than dried/powdered.