🔕 🔔

I'm starting a new diet. Is there a way to eyeball 3oz of chicken? Don't really want to have to buy a scale. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Some site say the size of your first but that doesn't seem like it would work. Any idea?

asked by thebreukelenlife almost 7 years ago

4a244a3e 71b1 485d 9998 3861fe93b949  birdhouse avatar 80x80

They say a serving of protein/meat is the size of a deck of cards, but truthfully, a scale is the way to go, if you are really serious about counting calories. Some models are under $20. I paid $25 on Amazon, and it's been very helpful.

Oh and one more point, a food scale is great for baking too. Measuring ingredients by weight is the most accurate.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

I would buy a scale. We got a small digit scale for around five years ago to measure coffee for grinding for the mornings brew. But I use it for other cooking almost daily. Especially when baking.

But without a scale I have used the fist measurement for meats and it gets you in the ballpark. Of course I am only 5' 2" so my fist is on the small side.

Cfdd183b f2d3 436f abf5 4a8285003ba1  monica

I agree--fists vary! I have heard that 4 oz of protein (meat, chicken, fish) is about the size of a deck of playing cards. You could also eyeball things in the grocery store which are labeled for weight to get an idea, or ask the butcher or deli person to show you next time you're there. Good luck on your diet!

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

It's a lot smaller than you think - depending on the chicken, could be 1/2 breast or about the size of a post-it note. A scale is the way to go.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Think McDonald's Quarter Pounder.

Hit "submit" too soon. Anyway, it's four ounces before cooking, so I figure it's in the area of 3 to 3.5 ounces after cooking.

0624510c 1686 4ede a338 3b866cf88999  sugar.board

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize how cheap the scales were. Just purchased one off of amazon. You guys are right, if I want to be serious, I should grab the scale. Now I Just need to find a place to store it in my teeny kitchen. If anyone is interested, I grabbed the diet book Cinch! I'm usually very hesitant about diets because I love to cook (and eat) but the ones in this book seem really great and favorable. I'm actually excited to start using them.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Emily, as one who lost 40 pounds over the course of a year, I've got a couple of suggestions for you. 1. Eat breakfast, always, and be sure it includes a healthy portion of protein. 2. You can eat anything you want, as long as you do it in moderation. Half a cupcake or cookie will generally satisfy that urge for a sweet. A small scoop of potato salad will do you. 3. If you're a junk food junkie, like I am, don't keep it in the house. 4. Stop eating fast food; a takeout burger and fries will run you close to 1,000 calories. 5. Indulge occasionally. I refused to give up cream in my coffee, and I'd occasionally let myself splurge on something high-fat that I'd usually avoid. Good luck!