🔕 🔔

What can I subsitute creme fraiche for to make a recipe suitable for dairy allergy suffers?

asked by @RuthHayter over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I think it depends on what you're making. Creme fraiche imparts both a creamy silky richness and a tanginess that I think would be difficult to achieve in a substitute. If it's the main part of the dish, you should probably make something else. If it's an enhancer, you could add butter (clarified?) for richness; an acid (lemon juice, vinegar) for tanginess.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

If you could share the recipe with us, maybe someone would have an idea. It's hard to know what to substitute otherwise.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Maybe silken tofu?? Agree with the others, hard to say exactly, without knowing what you are making.

It is for a creamed leek & smoky fish pie that I found in my low GI cookbook, it doesn't have potato on it so perfect for my low carb diet. I can swap the milk for Soya, but it is the creme fraiche that will cause the problems. It might not be possible but thought I would ask the question.

I would try soy yogurt for the texture/richness, then some lemon for the tanginess. I've also seen soy sour cream, but have never tried it.

Sour cream is normally used as a substitute for creme fraiche, so look for a non-dairy/vegan sour cream substitute. Just as thought. — Keep us posted on your results. :-)

Personally, I would alter the recipe to exclude the "creaming" of the leeks (I'd have to see the full recipe to give alternatives.) I try not to use overly processed foods (and soy is one of the most processed out there) in anything I cook or eat.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you update on how it turns out...

E7de47cd 9d33 416b 84d2 56b51801a7d6  christine 28 small 1

Can you do goat products? Goat yogurt is a good sub.