Sarah E Daniels
Sarah E Daniels

Editorial Intern

In my experience, subbing it for yogurt (or mascarpone even) will be a-ok.

I would make cheesecake. Here's an easy one from Nigella Lawson: http://www.nigella.com...

I would double or triple it, depending on how much creme fraiche you have.

I use creme fraiche, sour cream or Greek yogurt (tho not 0%) interchangeably in baking.

I haven't made these creme fraiche brownies yet, but they've been in my bookmark queue for a while - they look really good. I'm sure regular butter (non cultured) would work equally well. Easy to transport: http://www.vermontcreamery...

Make a parfait-like dish, layer the cream with fruits (fresh +/or dried), nuts, cookies, choc or butterscotch chips. Ok if it will be at room temp up to 2 hours.)

Mei Chin

Make banana bread! It travels well, and is really lovely with fraiche (generally, even with its fat content, you can do an even 1-1 swap with whole yogurt, sour cream, or full-fat buttermilk with extremely comparable results). Happy travels!

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

Make a potato gratin...I posted a recipe for Magical French Potato cake that makes a great side dish.
https://food52.com/recipes...

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Wow that looks delicious, Leith!

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

Thank you! Let me know if you try it.

Veronica Fung

Yes to subbing for yogurt or sour cream (i.e. coffee cakes etc?). Do you have Joanne Chang's Flour bakery cookbook? She has quite a few recipes that uses creme fraiche and all her recipes are divine. Happy baking!

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

If you're transporting said sweet thang on an airplane, yes - just put it in a quick bread. If you stay at home, I love using CF for sabayon or pannacotta - items where the sumptuousness of that dairy really shows up.

For a quick bread, you need not worry too much about the extra fat. If you're subbing it for yogurt or buttermilk, though, remember that CF has much less "moisture."