🔕 🔔

Fermenting Sauerkraut

Hi All,

I've been fermenting my first batch of sauerkraut for 19 days, and I just opened it up to see if it was ready. There isn't any sign of mold, but it smells vinegary, rather than "sour" which I am surprised by. It's been so warm here and I've fermented in a 78-80 degree space in a Fido Jar, so I'm concerned that something bad happened.... Is my vinegary-smelling sauerkraut safe to eat just the same?

Thanks!

asked by B. about 2 years ago

ktr

I've never noticed a vinegar smell from mine but different people describe smells differently. If there is no mold I wouldn't be too concerned about it having gone bad. Was your recipe just shredded cabbage and salt or did it call for vinegar (which I've seen but have never done). And I'm assuming you don't have the top of the jar sealed?