Substitute for Pecorino Romano in Rao's Meatballs?

I'm using the recipe in the Genius Recipes cookbook (which is awesome, by the way!) but am trying to find a cheese substitute since my nearest shop doesn't seem to stock Pecorino Romano and I want to make them soon. (In the future I'd head to a cheese shop but am pressed for time today.)

asked by Meghan over 3 years ago

for taste & texture: one or more of Parmesan, Grana Padano, sapsago, aged asiago or manchego, dry Jack cheese.
if you want to maintain the sheep's milk cheese, feta or ricotta made from sheep's milk

I agree, if you want to keep the sheep's milk ricotta salata would be a good sub.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Aged manchego is one of my absolute favorite cheeses Nancy! I use it in place of Parmigiano all the time! I second that suggestion!