🔕 🔔

Repurpose un-set jam?

A friend and I made jam yesterday and it didn't set. How can I repurpose it so it isn't wasted?

asked by Scheherazade about 2 years ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Can you just try again? Add a bit more pectin? I'm not experienced in canning, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Thin it with some liquor or liqeuer, mix with whipped cream, make a fool, top a simple cake (pound, angel food, yellow cake), use instead of fruit on shortcake, whip up in a milkshake, use it as a sauce on ice cream.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

Put it on Trader Joe's cheese blintzes, or make your own.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

If you have a lot, it might be worth reprocessing it to get it to gel: http://www.manningcanning... Be sure to plan on using new lids if you reprocess, and expect that the quality of the finished product will be a bit reduced because of the extra cooking.

Also, some jams take upwards of a week to gel, so don't be too sure yours is a failure just yet. If you just have a small quantity or you don't want to go to the trouble of reprocessing, it's good instead of syrup on pancakes and French toast.

If you don't cook it longer and if it is the consistency of syrup, you could add it to Prosecco for an aperitivo. I don't think you would need to add a lot, but experiment!

Sounds to me like it would make wonderful pancake/waffle syrup or ice cream sundae topping.

Dcaf56be 4ef6 4780 84d1 1e354adf4ff9  stringio

Mix it with plain yogurt and eat it for breakfast!

If you're making a basic stove-top jam like refrigerator jam, just put it back on the heat again until it sets. If you made jam to can, then I'm not sure :) I also like to add jam to whipped cream - you just sort of fold it in, so this more liquid-y jam would be perfect! - and then serve it on fresh fruit. I made a peach version and it was delicious, so I'd imagine any flavor would be great!