Repurpose un-set jam?

A friend and I made jam yesterday and it didn't set. How can I repurpose it so it isn't wasted?

PieceOfLayerCake July 15, 2015

Can you just try again? Add a bit more pectin? I'm not experienced in canning, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Nancy July 15, 2015

Thin it with some liquor or liqeuer, mix with whipped cream, make a fool, top a simple cake (pound, angel food, yellow cake), use instead of fruit on shortcake, whip up in a milkshake, use it as a sauce on ice cream.

Dona
Dona July 15, 2015

Put it on Trader Joe's cheese blintzes, or make your own.

Diana B
Diana B July 16, 2015

If you have a lot, it might be worth reprocessing it to get it to gel: http://www.manningcanning.com/secret-diary-of-a-canning-girl/2015/1/28/how-to-reprocess-a-jam-or-a-jelly Be sure to plan on using new lids if you reprocess, and expect that the quality of the finished product will be a bit reduced because of the extra cooking.

Also, some jams take upwards of a week to gel, so don't be too sure yours is a failure just yet. If you just have a small quantity or you don't want to go to the trouble of reprocessing, it's good instead of syrup on pancakes and French toast.

Maedl July 16, 2015

If you don't cook it longer and if it is the consistency of syrup, you could add it to Prosecco for an aperitivo. I don't think you would need to add a lot, but experiment!

ChefJune July 16, 2015

Sounds to me like it would make wonderful pancake/waffle syrup or ice cream sundae topping.

Claire Smith
Claire Smith July 16, 2015

Mix it with plain yogurt and eat it for breakfast!

sonya
sonya August 10, 2015

If you're making a basic stove-top jam like refrigerator jam, just put it back on the heat again until it sets. If you made jam to can, then I'm not sure :) I also like to add jam to whipped cream - you just sort of fold it in, so this more liquid-y jam would be perfect! - and then serve it on fresh fruit. I made a peach version and it was delicious, so I'd imagine any flavor would be great!