When using a pre-made pie crust (for quiche) I always have one side of my crust collapse - any suggestions on how to prevent this?

I Pilsbury - and keep it cool until just before using it

asked by jendooley over 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Make your own.

Do you blind bake the crust? And put little vent holes with a fork at the bottom and side. Make use the pie crust overlaps the edge of the pie pan and crimp it down. Line with foil and put in coins to weigh the crust down..bake about 15 mins at 375. and another 5 mins without the foil/coins/weights.

Look into getting a 'pie shield' to keep the edges from overcooking.

In general when I'm blind baking a crust (which I absolutely would with quiche). I form the crust from well rested dough. If its not rested, it will often shrink during baking. If its a particularly lean dough,. I'd build it a little higher than the actual pan. If its just a regular pie crust, I simply crimp it. I would dock the crust, freeze it, line it with a large coffee filter (personal preference, foil works too), and fill it generously with beans. If you can't fill to just under the crimp, I would dump in what you have, and push it up the sides. Bake it in a relatively hot oven (375F) until it sets. That could take 15 - 20 minutes depending on your oven. I would begin to check around 12. After its set, remove the pie weights and lining, turn the oven down to 325F, and continue baking until its lightly golden.