Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Pie crust with multiple restrictions...

I need to make (or buy!) pie crusts that'll meet a number of restrictions for Thanksgiving. The crusts have to be kosher (no lard), non-dairy, nut & gluten free. I'm a much better cook than baker, and always used to do store bought crusts but since my cousin was diagnosed with Celiacs disease I haven't been able to find one that works for everyone. Last year I made them from a Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour mix and they turned out horribly.

I should probably give up the idea of making 1 crust that meets everyone's needs (kosher & dairy free are a house restriction, nuts & gluten are 1 person each) but I'd really like to try as making a million crusts isn't that appealing to me. (My apple pies are double crusts and I always make 2 apple & 2 pumpkin).

Does anyone have a good recipe or brand to try? I'm trying to get a head start on this so I can give any recipe or crust a test run before Thanksgiving.

asked by Bec42 about 2 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Hey Bec42 - Arielleclementine may have your answer here:

http://arielleclementine...

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I make parve pie crusts that use non-dairy margarine (Fleischman's or Mother's brand in stick form). The recipe is an adaptation of Martha Stewart's pate brisee and makes 2 discs.
2 sticks non-dairy margarine in little pieces chilled
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4-1/2 cup ice water
In a food process combine the dry ingredients. Add the margarine and pulse until it resembles small crumbs. Drizzle 1/4 cup of ice water and pulse to combine. Add more water if necessary. Divide into 2 discs and chill in fridge for an hour. Can be frozen if you're making the crusts in advance.
I don't know a G-F recipe

I really like your idea of offering pies that address different issues, otherwise you'll go crazy trying to accommodate everything in an apple and pumpkin pie using new recipes. If you are the host, and your guests are willing to contribute, another thought is to ask them to bring desserts that meet their needs? (Especially if you are cooking most of the rest of the dinner.)

334d09cb 05fb 4998 81f1 69e7ae796eb9  image

Serious Eats put together a guide to gluten-free pie last year. It includes a few different crust recipes, at least some of which are nut-free.
http://sweets.seriouseats...

There are a few non-dairy fat options, such as vegetable shortening, vegan margarine, or coconut oil. I believe any of those would be kosher.

F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

You can do the bagged Bob's Red Mill gluten-free crusts (I like to add a couple TB of sugar, they are better than the regular flour mix blend) and instead of butter/shortening do all kosher shortening (Spectrum Organic is a nice one). Mrs. Smiths makes a parve pre-made frozen crust, but it isn't gluten free.

I haven't tried it yet, but I saw this crust that looked interesting and got good reviews:

3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
1/2 cup masa harina (corn flour)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk substitute (non-dairy)

Best of luck to you...