🔕 🔔

I need recipe ideas for a no iodine diet. No salt, dairy or processed foods. I can use pickling salt.

This is for a cooking party for a friend who is having radiation treatment for thyroid cancer. Her prognosis is excellent!

asked by Chuckanut over 2 years ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Unless salt is iodized, it doesn't have iodine in it....I never use iodized salt.

I also just looked up what constitutes an iodine-free diet and...wow....there isn't much. No soy, dairy, seafood, eggs, chocolate. I'd say just some good vegetable dishes with simple, lean meats. Perhaps a root vegetable curry, a summer vegetable risotto with pesto, I have a cuban pork roast that's to die for that I serve with black beans and rice, pastas, summer corn chowder, a street taco bar....I'm all over the place, and I'm not even sure if I'm helping!!

If you all like fish and have access to good fresh water fish, here are 2 ideas (can't put my hand on my old recipes, but here are similar recipes. They are all good. If you see salt or cream in the recipes, just omit; if you see butter, replace it with good olive or grapeseed oil)
1) baked fillets with a nut crust...give great taste and texture contrast.
http://www.fromthegrapevine...
http://wellnessmama.com...
2) slow-poached tuna in rosemary or other herb-infused oil, serve on rice or Tuscan (saltless per their tradition) bread
http://www.foodnetwork...
http://www.marthastewart...

Enjoy your party!

I thought fish too, but apparently seafood is full of iodine. http://www.thyca.org/pap... Whodathunk.

POLC - thanks for catching that. I didn't know about the iodine in fish.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

My daughter went through the same thing in the Spring of 2014....and she was vegetarian at the time--oy!
I made a big batch of veggie broth without salt; you could do the same with chicken or beef. It could then be used for soup, gravy, pasta sauce, or as the cooking water for grains.
I used "the flax egg" (chia works as well) to sub for egg in baked goods. Coconut oil subbed for butter in baking as well. I did lots of whole grains for protein. I tried nutritional yeast as a sub for Parmesan cheese; I liked it but she didn't... I even made fake mayo with a flax egg and non-iodized salt.
The thyroid cancer association has a downloadable cookbook which has many recipes; I used it as a starting point for my own recipes. You can find it at www.thyca.org
Also feel free to contact me off-list at [email protected] for more info

Chicken Marsala over rice, with a green vegetable.
Lecso (Hungarian style stir fried tomatoes and peppers, seasoned with sweet and hot paprika), with sautéed boneless chunks of chicken as the protein, served over rice or accompanied by homemade Vienna bread.
Tabouli served with beef or lamb kebabs marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, and fresh herbs.

I dont know how much iodine your friend can have but a lot of vegetables have a good amount in them as well. I've met a gentleman, who was allowed no iodine at all, who said the USDA has a list somewhere of foods with iodine. I have never looked, but it might be worth looking. I know some green vegetables have iodine, like kelp or cabbages.

I decided to make chicken potstickers, Nekisia Davis' Maple Granola, flour tortillas and bake her a loaf of sourdough bread. Thanks everyone!