A question about a recipe: My version of Norway's World's Best Cake

C0f6bab8 284e 4025 954a 1b07ae802686  img 2096

I have a question about the recipe "My version of Norway's World's Best Cake" from Regine. What does this direction mean? "Another secret behind the lightness of this cake is to be patient and methodical; fold by turning the bowl clockwise to 15 minutes each after each fold. It may take 30+ turns." Does it mean that I must fold for fifteen minutes times 30+ turns? I think that it must mean fold and turn 30+ times which will take a total of fifteen minutes.

asked by RG about 3 years ago

I think it means fold, then turn the bowl one quarter turn, then fold again, then turn the bowl another quarter turn, and so on until you have folded 15 times. The writer is using the clock face as a graphic example of the markings on a circle. It is unrelated to the time it will take to do the folding (which should be much less than 15 minutes).

Geerhj

So "fold by turning the bowl clockwise to 15 minutes each after each fold. It may take 30+ turns" refers to positioning and number of turns. Thank you for the clarification!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

While sponge cakes are delicate, I don't think they're as delicate as the recipe makes them sound. As long as you're gentle, quick and thorough, the cake should be fine. Its not nearly as difficult to make a sponge cake as the recipe is implying. Everyone is going to have a slightly different method of folding so I would use "30" as a guide, not an absolute.