🔕 🔔

What does it mean to "orast" a chile?

I am following a posole recipe, and it tells me to orast the chiles, then place them in a bowl and cover with a plate to steam for 15 minutes. What does this mean? I've googled this extensively and there is a possibility it could just be a typo for "roast." Thanks!

asked by pwinggles almost 6 years ago

It's a typo for roast!

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Definitely a typo. Roasting the chiles would be a step in making pozole.

Sorry, I meant to add that the clue to knowing 'orast' is a typo is in the directions that follow--to steam the peppers. That loosens the skins so you can easily peel them off.

When you orast a chile you simply hold it over an open "emafl" until it's skin is blistered

"Orast" actually sounds like something forbidden in the Bible and illegal in most states.