Looking for a cocktail that will help my summer cold

Cocktail for summer cold

mike
mike August 6, 2015

Equal parts of Bourbon, Fresh Lemon Juice and Honey. Slightly warmed in microwave.

Nancy August 6, 2015

Hot Gin, which I learned about one winter from Dickens novels, where his characters in foggy London kept offering each other this drink. Looked it up in my hand James Beard cocktail recipe book. Delicious. In a mug, place one or two shots of gin juice of half a lemon, a teaspoon or so of sugar, top with boiling water, stir, drink. Does it cure your cold? not really (though the steam and lemon do help a bit). But it makes you feel good, eases sleep & rest. More a winter drink, but if you like gin, maybe ok even in summer.

Smaug August 6, 2015

Alcohol really doesn't help your immune system, but something powerful enough to keep you in bed all day could be useful.

Nancy August 7, 2015

OK, thanks, noted.
Enough "doesn't help" that we should avoid alcohol totally when ill?
Or limit use while ill?

amysarah August 7, 2015

I only play a doctor on the internet, but I do know that alcohol suppresses the immune system. Too much can also make you dehydrated. So not a good idea to drink a lot when ill. One drink for an otherwise healthy person is probably okay, unless you're taking cold meds, in which case it could make you sleepy.

Nancy August 7, 2015

Thanks, amysarah.

Dona
Dona August 6, 2015

Ingredients
1 1/2 Cups Hot Water
1 Green Tea Bag
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Teaspoon Grated Ginger
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
A Small Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Add a tablespoon of whisky/whatever you like.

scruz
scruz August 6, 2015

you know, in thinking about this, i would go for a bloody mary if you didn't want to warm honey lemon hot water booze soother. you can get some vitamin c with the bloody mary and it is tart spicy salty and seasoned enough that it might cut through a lack of smell and taste. when i have a cold i really like the major fast food tacos because they are salty, crunchy cheesy and warm. another thing i like very much when i have a cold is watermelon, so maybe some sort of watermelon cocktail would appeal. it's all about what appeals to the tastebuds and temperature needs.