Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »

Just wondering, Do you NEED to pasteurize homemade vinegar (by heating it) before consuming it?

I've read a lot about mother cultures and making vinegar, but I can't seem to clarify whether once you're vinegar has formed if you need to remove the mother and pasteurize it before storing and consuming it.

asked by Oisabi over 1 year ago

If you don't pasteurize the vinegar you run the risk that mother will continue to form in the bottles and take them over. But, there's nothing inherently bad in the traces of mother, so if you plan to use the vinegar quickly there's no need to pasteurize.

Brill, thanks a bunch! I was just concerned that if the bacteria continued to develop it would be unhealthy

Raw vinegar certainly has more healthy benefits. My Brags ACV is raw and I don't need to rush to use it. I'd keep it in the fridge which impedes the growth of the mother.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.