🔕 🔔

My chili is too sweet, what should I do?

asked by radrav almost 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

What sweetness is in there? Tomatoes? You could make a bitter beer and cornflour slurry and add that, or something smoky like a smoked hot paprika, or some dried chilies if you can take some additional heat.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I always add a bottle of beer to chili. It adds a bitter taste and flattens any sweetness from adding tomatoes. A bit more cayenne pepper help as well. Corona works fine for me.

These two replies are spot-on. A flavorful bitter component and a little spice or smoke is the way to attack this problem.

I love these suggestions. I would also add some of the sauce from a can of Chipotle in Adobo, and some of the chili's in the can as well. Easy though, it can get spicy quick but it lends a smoky flavor as the chili's are smoked jalapenos. Dry mustard would probably offset the sweetness too.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

All good ideas! I think I'd go with a little more heat and maybe a touch of unsweetened cocoa.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I like the cocoa idea--I also sometimes add a little coffee to these types of dishes.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

My chili recipe uses brown sugar, and sometimes I overdo it. When I do, I add a shot or two of white vinegar.. makes it sweet/tangy instead of just sweet. All the other suggestions sound fantastic, too.. I think I'll try beer in mine next time.

I'd try acid, too. Like a shot of lime juice, maybe half a lime, or to taste. Lime juice is a natural with chili flavors.

I basically just tried adding all of the above at once. Small additions of cumin, beer, ancho powder, salt and vinegar. Less sweet. Still tasty!

9a7c8f11 3fe4 4e57 a5e9 00b3b12ddb21  fb avatar

Add one bottle of Miller lite beer to a pot of chili..or enough to tone down sweetness. Then cook until alcohol is cooked away. Flavors are blended. Works well.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

When my chilie is too spicy I add sweet corn so in the opposite situation, I would add spice.