My chili is too sweet, what should I do?

• Posted by: radrav
  • January 4, 2011

aargersi January 4, 2011

What sweetness is in there? Tomatoes? You could make a bitter beer and cornflour slurry and add that, or something smoky like a smoked hot paprika, or some dried chilies if you can take some additional heat.

Bevi
Bevi January 4, 2011

I always add a bottle of beer to chili. It adds a bitter taste and flattens any sweetness from adding tomatoes. A bit more cayenne pepper help as well. Corona works fine for me.

Jon Palmer
Jon Palmer January 4, 2011

These two replies are spot-on. A flavorful bitter component and a little spice or smoke is the way to attack this problem.

POTATO
POTATO January 4, 2011

I love these suggestions. I would also add some of the sauce from a can of Chipotle in Adobo, and some of the chili's in the can as well. Easy though, it can get spicy quick but it lends a smoky flavor as the chili's are smoked jalapenos. Dry mustard would probably offset the sweetness too.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen January 4, 2011

All good ideas! I think I'd go with a little more heat and maybe a touch of unsweetened cocoa.

prettyPeas
prettyPeas January 4, 2011

I like the cocoa idea--I also sometimes add a little coffee to these types of dishes.

campagnes
campagnes January 4, 2011

My chili recipe uses brown sugar, and sometimes I overdo it. When I do, I add a shot or two of white vinegar.. makes it sweet/tangy instead of just sweet. All the other suggestions sound fantastic, too.. I think I'll try beer in mine next time.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ January 5, 2011

I'd try acid, too. Like a shot of lime juice, maybe half a lime, or to taste. Lime juice is a natural with chili flavors.

Robert Bardwell
Robert Bardwell March 25, 2015

I basically just tried adding all of the above at once. Small additions of cumin, beer, ancho powder, salt and vinegar. Less sweet. Still tasty!

Shelli Tackett
Shelli Tackett January 8, 2017

Add one bottle of Miller lite beer to a pot of chili..or enough to tone down sweetness. Then cook until alcohol is cooked away. Flavors are blended. Works well.

MMH
MMH January 8, 2017

When my chilie is too spicy I add sweet corn so in the opposite situation, I would add spice.

Tim Stevenson
Tim Stevenson January 20, 2018

My solution for 3 quarts of (too sweet) chili: 1/4 cup heffeweisen(wheat beer), 1 tablespoon minced garlic, sautee seperately and pour in. give it an hour to reach a balance.