Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Any delicious, light weight recipe ideas to take backpacking?

I've been backpacking the past few weekends and am getting sick of trail mix, PB&J tortillas, granola bars, etc. Looking for suggestions for delicious, light weight recipes I can take on high altitude backpacking trips up San Gorgonio and Mt Whitney. Thank you!

asked by Julianna Bug Driskel over 1 year ago

Always a problem. Dehydrated mashed potatoes with a gravy packet works. I've also recently put together a thai-inspired meal for three hungry men: powdered coconut milk (indian stores have great inspiration) with rice noodles and a packaged curry mix was a hit. I'm sure you could pack a dab of red or green curry paste as well. TVP or soy nuggets provide lightweight protein.

Also, couscous with dried soup mix! And sardines with triscuits! Have you seen the new powdered peanut butter? It's pretty good!

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

When backpacking, especially at high altitude, I enjoy packaged ramen noodles beyond reason (the kind you boil, not instant). That salty-brothy-starchy nexus is really perfect.
This is also not a recipe, but I've bought a dehydrated black bean soup in bulk (it was at Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco, but I don't remember the brand) that was actually pretty decent.
Quick-cooking polenta with pesto (the kind that comes in a tube works well for the trail) is another pretty good option.

Simple food for the pack - a great book with combo of cordon bleu training & trail experience, tasty recipes, real ingredients. from estimated mid 70s and 2nd edition mid 80s. My book is gone, but their recipe for johnnycakes was wonderful - one of those things you cook at home, and take with.
http://www.amazon.com/Simple...

here are a variety of johnny cakes (journey cakes) from a thread started two years ago here
https://food52.com/hotline...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I don't backpack, but I do almost all of the cooking on our family trips and take most of our food with us no matter where we go. We just returned from Alaska. I took a lightweight electric burner and brought along grains (Farro, TJ's grain blend, bulgur, and/or couscous), packets of sun dried tomato strips (not in oil, so less weight) from TJs which are full of flavor, and miniature olive oil bottles. I cook the grains, mix in feta and a handful of dried tomatoes, parsley, olive oil and lemon (I don't know if you would bring that backpacking; you could also bring dried lemon crystals, not as good of course). Whole Foods also has many dried mixes for bean chili or other products that cook up quickly and are well seasoned, they also have small packets of dried herbs/spices. For breakfast, we packed Bob's Grain Mill instant oatmeal (just add boiling water), topped with cashews, honey, and freeze-dried raspberries (or apples or blueberries, all from TJ's). I also take along Ryevita or other dry crackers and good cheese for lunches. Hope some of this is applicable!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Love these recipes http://seattlebackpackersmagazine...

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

here's a list of snacks that seem to have a wide variety and may help mix things up?
https://food52.com/blog...

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

I love that area for backpacking! I second the recommendation for couscous (one thing to remember is how long it takes to boil water at high altitudes so a quick cook grain like couscous is perfect). I also make infused herb oil (olive oil plus basil and thyme or rosemary) and pack it in plastic squeeze tubes. It is a perfect way to add a little flavor to bland couscous or noodles. I usually bring some of those soft tofu cubes that don't need to be refrigerated and some salmon in flat paper/plastic wrappings (not tinned cans). Stir one into your couscous....it might sound gross in normal life, but I swear it is delicious when you are hiking all day and up at high elevation. Also, really good dehydrated mushrooms....you can use the water to cook your grain or pasta, then add the mushrooms.