How do I convert a granola recipe to a granola-bar recipe?

I'd like to make granola bars. What is necessary to convert the following recipe into a granola bar recipe?

http://www.foodnetwork...

Will it be enough to press the mixture into smaller pans, not mix it, and cut into squares when it's done?

Marnely
Marnely June 8, 2011

Make the granola and just add a little more syrup or honey. The stickiness with help it stay together when you press it down!

mirileh
mirileh June 9, 2011

thanks! I'll give it a try.

mirileh
mirileh June 11, 2011

reporting back: the whole nuts make it rather impossible to cut into squares. (thoughts for next time: omit the nuts, chop them up or preshape the mixture into some sort of cookie.)

Melissa Clark
Melissa Clark June 14, 2011

Another idea is to add almond or peanut butter to hold it altogether. When the granola is baked but still warm, add some warmed nut butter to the mix (warm the nut butter in the microwave), then press the sticky mess into a pan and let cool completely before cutting into bars. Almond butter works really well and has a milder flavor than peanut butter, which is more pronounced.