olives?

what are your favorite ways to eat olives (and/or their brine)? share them! especially if you think the way you eat olives might be a little strange.

asked by Caroline Lange about 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I put olives in savory breads and scones all the time....a favorite of mine being a black olive, rosemary and feta, whole wheat scone.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

We make an olive burger...olives in the burger as well as in the topping:
https://food52.com/recipes...

Tapenade, hands down.

In distant second place is to enjoy them very simply with a glass of wine or cocktail as a snack.

Meaghan F

Actually not an olive fan ordinarily, but quality freshly-made tapenade is delicious.

bigpan

Sorry to spoil the other answers, but olives are grown specially for oil ... and martinis !

They are much more tasty when slightly warmed - when eating as a tapa snack (with some slices of chorizo).

As for tapanade, absolutely. My fav recipe is to include chopped sun dried tomato and a splash of balsamic....warm in a pot on the stove and serve on nice crusty bread while still warm.

And add chopped sun dried black olives to any pasta dish that has tomato sauce - does not work with seafood and cream sauces.

Spanish, Greek, Italian - all good when you by fresh from a good deli.

Tapenade, especially made with chopped almonds
Herbed or spiced marinated olives, as cocktail nibbles.

former Community Editor

Lauren Kelley turned me on to chopped black olive and mayo sandwiches, and I'm also a fan of chopped green olive and cream cheese sandwiches.

It's hard to beat good olives just as they are, with a drink. But using them as an ingredient, one of my favorite things to cook and eat is Pasta Puttanesca.

We're very lucky to have a Guatemalan friend who makes us homemade tamales every Christmas (cooked in banana leaves) - sometimes they're filled with a mole-like sauce, chicken, raisins and olives. Profoundly delicious.

Egg salad, with chopped black olives and a little minced anchovy mixed in, on a sandwich with a thick slice of juicy tomato is heaven.

Haven't had one in years, but my mom used to make cream cheese and olive sandwiches occasionally, which I loved. She also did a duck braised with green olives for a few dinner parties, which I've always meant to make. Maybe I will now.

caninechef

I love cream cheese and olives, open faced on toast is good. Sliced olives in chicken or tuna salad.

WileyP

Olive cheese bread, a la Ree Drummond. I could eat that stuff for all three meals plus snacks!

Jan Weber

Personally, I really enjoy oil/salt cured olives - especially from Greece or the Tanche ones from Nyons. I eat them as is most of the time, but also love them on pissaladière (as per this Food52 recipe https://food52.com/recipes... - substitute kalamatas for oil- or salt cured olives). One of the most frequent recipes I use from here.

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris