A question about a recipe: My Mom's and My Applesauce Cake

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "My Mom's and My Applesauce Cake" from LE BEC FIN. Can I substitute whole or white flour? Not sure what white whole wheat flour is....

asked by Lynda Rogers almost 3 years ago

The author's recipe head-notes states she used whole wheat flour so I would go with that. Probably a mistake.

There is such a thing as white WW flour. I've seen sandwich bread labeled as such. Here's what King Arthur says: http://www.kingarthurflour...

White whole wheat flour is actually whole wheat flour, however, it is from a different variety of wheat from the usual red winter wheat which standard whole wheat flours are milled from.

Here's the page at King Arthur's website for their standard white whole wheat flour:

http://www.kingarthurflour...

They also make an organic one. From what I understand, the common substitute for white whole wheat flour would be all-purpose flour.

LE BEC FIN

while it i true that one could sub AP flour for white whole wheat, it would be defeating the depth of flavor and texture(and healthiness) that are my goals when i bake most things.

@Le Bec Fin:

I understand. However, I was responding to the original poster's inquiry.

That said, the practice of adapting recipes to one's own needs and desires is as old as the very first recipe.

I did not question the motivations of either one of you in how you cook. Again, I simply answered her question. After all, that's what the Hotline is for.

If you don't want to see people using your recipes for goals that differ from your own, you may need to look inside yourself and decide if publication of your recipes to an Internet readership is something you should continue doing.

This is one of the bonafide justifications of keeping a recipe a secret.

Lynda Rogers

Thanks all- I am in Canada, so I haven't seen King Arthur products here-I will use whole wheat flour until I can buy some white whole wheat flour when I'm next in the U.S.

Bob's Red Mill flours make a white whole wheat which they have just renamed/repackaged as Organic Ivory Wheat Flour.
The brand is sold in Canadian standard grocery stores, so maybe worth a look for that particular item.

LE BEC FIN

my intention with

LE BEC FIN

my intention with

LE BEC FIN

White whole wheat flour is made by King Arthur and I use it in almost every baking recipe. Not only is it tons healthier , it also provides a product with greater
depth of flavor and texture. If your grocer doesn't sell it, i would suggest sub'ing 1/2 AP white flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour.

The head-note & ingredient list two different types of flours. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe it will corrected by LBF, maybe not.